Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Poor Data Network Coverage (cold-spots)

Green_Laner
2: Seeker

Does anybody else experience issues where there is simply no data coverage, despite having "bars of service"?  Was in Newbury today, not far from VF HQ, and despite have a couple of bars (which I know isn't a defined measure) I was unable to do anything with my device.  Meant I could not show a receipt for a product I was collecting - embarrassing.

I've been with VF for almost 2 months, and so am stuck in contract for a service which is really poor, in my opinion.  Unhappy.  I also learned today my package is 4G only (didn't realise when signing up), so I wonder if there's a bias towards delivering 5G to the detriment of 4G?

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Green_Laner 

Unfortunately there are still areas known as not spots and fringe coverage areas, and network congestion that can cause issues.

In regards to 5G this can be hit and miss too. 

When someone shares they are considering joining a network on a contract I suggest to try out a PAYG sim where they live and work and reside first as network checkers only give an indication. 

I would suggest to contact Customer Services to enquire about 5G as an option on your contract. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Green_Laner

Yes, did contact Customer Services, they'd only "upgrade" me to a new plan if I paid the early exit on the current one.  Given that service, I'd rather go elsewhere.

AnnS

According to the coverage Newbury coverage checker network around Newbury is undergoing maintenance, this is confirmed here coverage checker  during this time you can expect to achieve lower speeds than usual.  You can register for updates on the coverage checker where you will receive regular updates regarding the maintenance and when it is due to be completed.

As far as your contract is concerned, it looks like you may be on one of the Basic plans where 5G is not included.  However, you will still receive excellent data using the 4G service.

edited to add:  The Social Team may have some indication of when the maintenance is due to be completed, a quick turn off and back on will get you back on the network, or follow device guides and complete a manual roam here device guides 

japitts
8: Helper
8: Helper

@Green_Laner wrote:

I wonder if there's a bias towards delivering 5G to the detriment of 4G?

Phones will always prefer higher technology layers whenever they're available - subject to various radio criteria. This applies to 5G > 4G as equally is it did 3G > 2G, and then 4G > 3G.

There's nothing "special" about 5G in this regard.