Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data sim speeds

simon6789
3: Seeker

Ive had very poor speeds between 6 and 10pm for the last month with a data only sim.

Usually below .5mbps, even though upload speeds say 12-20mbps, yet in the night I get 12-14 mbps down and 20mbps up.

I'm using a TP-link router with the data card, and have done for a few years. I swopped out the Vodafone SIM for an EE one and get 20+ mbps any time of day, so its not the router

I also have a mobile wifi box which doesn't suffer the same speed issues.

Why are my speeds so poor now ? , is it because Vodafone have crammed the network with customers in my area without updating the network to cover it ?

I have 3 phones, an unlimited data only sim card ( £36+ a month) and a mobile wifi box.

Total Bill of £95 a month

Id expect the £36 a month card to give decent speeds rather than .5mbps

I'd be better off going to EE @ £32 a month and get 5G unlimited at 80 mbps, but if I do that I'll have to move my 3 phones over and get shot of the mobile wifi box as well.

Before anyone says go onto 5G , I'm 3 miles form Birmingham city centre and Vodafone doesn't cover my area for 5G.

2 REPLIES 2

Thomas_H

Hey Simon, we could better investigate your data speeds if you reach out to my team on social media. You can find out how to contact us through this link https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/About-the-Community/Contact-us-about-account-related-queries/td-p/27...

simon6789

Thanks Thomas_H, but I've decided I'm leaving Vodafone full stop. I'll run the one phone till the contract is up and likewise with the mobile wifi.

Ive purchased my own 5G sim MESH router and got a deal with EE. With 3 phones and 1 router sim, It will work out cheaper than I currently pay Vodafone over 24 months AND will be able to use 5G on everything AND be able to do away with the £28 a month mobile wifi. Should be £14 a month better off ( not including the mobile wifi)

See screen shot of  'My Vodafone' speed tests below. £65 a month for two sims and only get 4.4Mb/s at best. All three tests done in the same room as the routers/wifi within minutes of each other.

Screenshot_20241011-225242_My Vodafone.jpg