Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SO23 - Winchester

highpriest
4: Newbie

Anyone else in SO22/SO23 Winchester experiencing extremely poor 4G speeds? I've been struggling for months with poor 4G speeds in Winchester (in the city centre mainly). Contacted Vodafone via Twitter - no help at all. Contacted CS and I've gone through every single troubleshooting technique (reset network settings, change APN, re-register sim with network, etc. etc.) in the book and nothing has helped.

===========

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

SO22 (home) less affected, SO23 (work) is particularly bad. If I move outside of Winchester City Centre (even just a few miles), 4G data speeds can jump to as much as 50 Mbps down, 20 Mbps up.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs?

SO23 8US

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Yes.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

Phone shows full 4G signal. Calls are unaffected but data speeds are extremely poor. There's quite a bit of variation, but speeds could be as low as 250 Kbps and sometimes between 1-2 Mbps. Upload speeds are not affected to the same degree. Speed tests show 4 or 5 Mbps upload.

Sometimes it is so bad that the speed test app will fail to even locate a server to run a speed test against and just give up.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

Not tried 2G or 3G (and don't ask me to). Problem is with 4G.

6) When did you first notice this issue?

A few months ago (Q3 2017).

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Permanent. Data speeds range from non-existent to ultra-slow. Everything buffers constantly or just times out and gives up.

I use an iPhone 8 Plus.

168 REPLIES 168

@Colleen wrote:

@highpriest I understand this must be frustrating and we'll ensure it's looked into. 

Please reply back to the latest email @Gemma sent you and a member of our team will be able to help you further. 

Already done.

Speedtest run today during my lunch break. While I had full 4G coverage.

Has anything been done since I raised this issue? Has a network engineer visited the area and run some tests? Anything at all?

Seriously - I need to get off this network as I want to use the data that I'm paying for. How can I exit this contract? What other legal options do I have?

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@highpriest I've just checked our email conversation with you. I can see we received your initial contact and then @Gemma replied to your email. After this point we've had no further correspondence from yourself. 

Please reply to the last email we've sent, so we're then able to continue with your query. 

I have replied to the email. The email asked for work postcode (which I have provided already - even on this thread) and screenshots of speed tests with date and timestamp - also on this thread.

Is there any update on this case? I still get between 0.5 and 1 Mbps at work (SO23 postcode). What is being done to improve this?

What are my options (legally) for early termination of the contract?

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@highpriest We're still more than happy to look into this further for you. We aren't able to continue until you respond to our latest email which was on the 18 May. Once we have the information required, we can look for a resolution.

So you are just going to delay and not bother to investigate because I didn't give you the full address of my work? Despite having my postcode for weeks?

*sigh*

OK, will email it right now. What happens next? Can I know what the plan is to fix this problem for me?

More recent speedtest results:

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@highpriest Apologies, I've just replied to your email before viewing your post. 

We require the full address of the affected location in order to accurately look into your coverage - thanks for now providing this. 

I'll be raising your query with our Network engineers and we'll post any updates on here. 

PedroC1999
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

The South Vendor Swap will cause a major uplift when they do that area...massive improvements where they've done it already.