main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Network queries

SO23 - Winchester

Administrator

@highpriest Just to let you know, an investigation has now been raised with our Network engineers. 

They'll be looking into your query under INC3557108 and we'll provide any updates on this thread 🙂

View more options
4: Newbie

@PedroC1999 wrote:

The South Vendor Swap will cause a major uplift when they do that area...massive improvements where they've done it already.

What is the South Vendor Swap?

View more options

Thanks, I will keep an eye on this thread.

View more options
16: Advanced member

Major Vodafone rebuilt project swapping sites from Nokia to Ericsson RAN. Broadly Vendor Swap sites have been getting upgraded to a high capacity build with L21, L26, 4x4 etc so several hundred mbps speeds possible.

View more options

@PedroC1999 wrote:

Major Vodafone rebuilt project swapping sites from Nokia to Ericsson RAN. Broadly Vendor Swap sites have been getting upgraded to a high capacity build with L21, L26, 4x4 etc so several hundred mbps speeds possible.

Interesting, cheers for that. Is there a rollout schedule published anywhere?

View more options

@Alex wrote:

@highpriest Just to let you know, an investigation has now been raised with our Network engineers. 

They'll be looking into your query under INC3557108 and we'll provide any updates on this thread 🙂

Is there an update on this case? Data speeds are still diabolical in Winchester.

View more options
Administrator

@highpriest wrote:
Is there an update on this case? Data speeds are still diabolical in Winchester.

Investigation on INC3557108 is still ongoing and we're continuing to monitor it for you. There's recently been visits to the physical site and we've also been talking with some third party partners to try and identify any potential issues. 

Slow speeds are present in the location and we're currently seeing what can be done to improve these. 

View more options

Is there an ETA on this? I would like to use the internet on my phone, you know, since it is 2018 and all.

Just let me leave penalty free so I can move to a better carrier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doUK8Sx97UY

This is me, on the phone to Vodafone every week begging them to let me leave so I can actually use the internet on my phone.

View more options

@highpriest I understand how frustrating this must be - we know it's important to stay connected. 
I've taken a look at INC3557108 and can see that one of the teams investigating this have completed their work and it's been sent for review. 
There's due to be an update around 9 July, so as soon as we know more, we'll be back in touch with you.

View more options
Administrator

@highpriest Our Network engineers have now completed their investigation under INC3557108. 

They've identified the issues with 4G speeds and have advised that future upgrade is planned which will improve the coverage. There's an estimated date of 10 August for this work, but this may be subject to change. 

View more options
3: Seeker

As it's now August 20th, can you please confirm whether the work was carried out?

I also live in SO23 (central Winchester), and my 4G speeds are very poor. For example, I did three Speedtests today - in Newbury on LTE, I got 108Mbps down and 40.9Mbps up. At home in SO23, on my home broadband, I get 40.9Mbps down and 20.1Mbps up. When I switch off wi-fi at home and do a speedtest on LTE, I get (at best) 9.29Mbps down and 0.64Mbps up.

So it looks as if there are still major problems in SO23, which would be understandable if the work has not been carried out yet, but is very worrying if it has been.

View more options
Administrator

@Strowger I can see it looks like work has been started in Winchester. Although it's in progress, changes of this nature won't be immediate as they'll be completed on different masts throughout the area at different times. 

The best way to say up to date with any changes in your specific location, will be to look our on network coverage checker, under the planned maintenance tab. There's nothing currently showing, but this is where it'll be added 🙂

View more options

I have this issue too in Winchester City Centre. When I step out of my front door and out of WiFi coverage I have to stop using the internet...can’t even do a speed check!  By the Cathedral is the worst spot.

This seems to be worse in the last week.

please confirm if this incident is ongoing and when the good Burgers of Winchester can expect to receive acceptable service.

View more options
Administrator

@sappercaptain I can see we're currently aware of an unexpected issue in the SO23 area. If you'd like to stay up to date on it's progress, you can register for updates on our network coverage checker

View more options

Thanks Alex.  I have looked at your link and can’t see any way of getting alerts.  Perhaps you could provide and expected timeline for a fix.

View more options

Surely you would entitled to leave your contract if the product provided is not “fit for purpose”??

View more options

@sappercaptain - I’ve checked and it looks like the work that was taking place has now completed.

Please turn your phone off and on to update it on the network. If you’re then facing issues still, please let us know the following:

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

6) When did you first notice this issue?

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

We'll then take a closer look at what's happenig. 

View more options

Have there been any improvements with Vodafone's 4G coverage and data speeds in the SO23/SO22 areas? I switched to a different carrier because I got completely fed up with not being able to use data effectively in these postcodes.

However, I'd like to move back to Vodafone because they offer better international roaming deals. Also, indoor coverage with Vodafone is slighty better than most other carriers. But if the data situation is just as bad as it was previously, I'm not going to switch back.

View more options

We're always trying to improve the network @highpriest.  You can view your local coverage using our Network Status Checker and you can use this to check for any scheduled updates too. You also have the piece of mind of our 30 Day Network Satisfaction gaurantee.

View more options
16: Advanced member

I can't find any evidence the South Vendor Swap has happened yet in Winchester.

The area will get improvements...the question is when not if.

View more options