Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow broadbandreadfull

Nabiodachan
3: Seeker

For three days now my broadband download speed has been dreadfully slow but my upload fast. I use an iphone 15 and a TP-link  sim card router. I have the same problem using both. Talking to Vodafone has not been in the slightest bit helpful as all they want to do is blame my system. Trying to get through to them that I have two different systems does not seem to register. They even sent me a text this morning saying it was all good now - it certainly is not. I am a 77 year old retired widower who lives in rural Dumfries & Galloway, having no broadband makes life very difficult.

6 REPLIES 6

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Unfortunately you're relying on the signal strength and quality of a mobile network. This will never be optimal, and (I assume) being out in the countryside finding any good signal will be a real struggle.

A router with an outdoor antenna mounted really high may be your only option. 

Have you had the chance to test different networks in your area? 

I have a sim card router as well as my iphone 15. The Vodafone mast is not far from my house. Normally I would get 25 to 30 Mbps but I am down to between 1 and 5 Mbps. Living in rural Dumfries & Galloway I cant get any other network. I only changed from my BT EO line because of the better speed with Vodafone. The strength of the signal seems ok which makes me think they have a software / data problem.

Ripshod

It's not just about the signal strength but also about quality. If the router is in an area where there's a lot of electrical noise then signal strength means nothing. As you pointed out though you were getting good speeds and these have just dropped. There may well be some maintenance work going on that affects your mast. Have you tried vodafone's service checker (I'd give you links but I'm out and on my phone)? 

Done that, also had several calls to their 191 help line, most of which were a waste of time as all they wanted to do was blame my sim cards, a normal one in my TP Link router and an e sim in my iphone. I did eventually get them to accept they had a problem which they are now investigating. Still waiting and hoping though.

Nabiodachan

This is the 6th day that my mobile broadband has been well below par and Vodafone seem unable to fix it. If it does not improve soon I would be as well going back to BT using my EO line, at least I could get up to 8Mbps with BT.

Nabiodachan

Finally got my mobile broadband back on both my iphone and via my sim card router. God knows what was wrong but it has taken 6 days to get Vodafone to  accept they had a problem and then fix it.