Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Terrible signal at STANSTED AIRPORT

Rye1
4: Newbie

Can anyone shed any light on the absolutely awful signal for both data and calls at Stansted Airport?

H and 4G signal shows up, as do 3 bars in the phone reception, but calls are almost impossible, and any data usage is either non-existant (usually the case) or so bad that you just have to give up.

I'm especially griped as I tested the signal last year before going full time Vodafone (using my 1 month trial period) the signal worked fine so I signed up on a contract. I also got my other half to change from EE only to find that now the signal(s) are so atrocious as to be worthless. I had been on Three with similar problems (signal showing as available but unusable data) and really liked the Vod package, but I may have to go back to EE as it is so bad and I use the airport frequently..  :Sad_face:

Any ideas if this is temporary (going on for 6 months now) or simply lack of bandwidth/EU travelers roaming/network blocking?

The Stansted official wifi (run by Virgin) is hellish too as browsers won't allow connection and email servers simply block everything...

Thanks if anyone has any insights as it's a massive pain!

65 REPLIES 65

Totally agree..... its the whole arrivals area for sure. Yet again we seem to be repeating ourselves.....several times i have spoken V whilst there and they confirm no signal or coverage issues. God knows what it is but you will only know if you physically send some people there who know what they are doing.

Ive had same trouble on 3 handsets now.....over 2 blinkin years....!

.....so perhaps you haven't started to address the issue as you are waiting for someone to provide you with the postcode for Stansted Airport!

(Try Google maps if you can get a signal)

Please think before you post....there are many seriously frustrated customer here....

alex2023
2: Seeker

I commute between Stanstead, London, and Edinburgh on a weekly basis, and I can confirm that these issues are persistent and incredibly frustrating.

One somewhat helpful workaround I've discovered is to disable 4G and rely on 3G, as it tends to provide slightly better performance, although still not ideal.

The WiFi service provided by Virgin has seen some improvements following complaints, and I often find myself using that along with forced 3G or edge for voice calls. However, this renders my 40GB roaming data somewhat useless.

Having a timeframe or receiving updates on engineering activities would greatly help in maintaining my patience. Switching my consultancy's 30 lines from Vodafone solely due to the lack of service at this airport would be a cumbersome administrative task that I'd prefer to avoid.

Fingers crossed for some positive changes!

@alex2023

Sadly Alex,  this workaround will lo longer work after the 3G switch off, makingthe whole situation even more ironic and frustrating.

It is risible that Vodafone can't sort this out. Even staff at the airport recommend O2 or can be found right at the end of the terminal at gates 48  or further to get a signal!

alex2023

The entire arrivals area is affected. Once again, it appears we're reiterating the same issue. I've personally spoken to V on numerous occasions while onsite, and they've confirmed there are no signal or coverage issues. It's unclear what the root cause is, but we'll only find out by sending knowledgeable individuals to assess the situation firsthand.

Rye1
4: Newbie

... and there's no sign of any 5G either.