main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Network queries

Terrible signal at STANSTED AIRPORT

Highlighted
3: Seeker

I strongly agree with that. 4G or 3G doesn't work at all.

View more options
Highlighted
2: Seeker

It is still not working - unbelivable that this could not be resovled in 14 months! Combined with bad customer service, one of the most terrible service companies!

View more options
Highlighted

Yup....I was moaning about this ages ago....I really don't know why im still with Vodafone !  I was at stansted yesterday for first time in ages ....with a new phone.....and it was the same as ever.  The guy sitting in the bar next to me was streaming live football, so I asked him what network he was on.... he said ee.   He said "don't tell me....you are vodafone".

I was unable to do anything data-wise.  I even tried to do a speed test but it couldn't even connect for that.

Im not using Stansted so much these days thank god, but I cannot believe they have not sorted this out.  Im back through Stansted in March....if not sorted then I will end my 23year relationship with Vodafone.

View more options
Highlighted
1: Seeker

I have finally signed up to this forum after Googling 'Why does Vodafone not work at Stansted' for years and seeing thhe thread. Basically I travel every week via Stansted and my company phone is Vodafone and it is like a brick - in the sense it's useless once you get near stansted. There is definitely something strange going on as I don't think it is just (as some of the Admin have suggested) a poor signal area. It is something particular to the airport building itself.

My phone works fine when approaching Stansted Airport on the Stansted Express, but just as you get into the station (in the terminal building) it stops. It still shows 4 bars and 4G as available but if you try to do anything online you just get a spinning loading wheel indefinitely. It is a real nightmare because I have my Boarding pass and S/E ticket in apps which use data, so I often have to login to the airport wifi to get my train ticket, even though that would only be a few kilobytes for 1 image. My friend's phone on another network works perfectly.

In all areas of the airport after the station the position is the same - our phone tells you full strength (or almost) vodafone is available but it doesn't actually work. Something is scrambling the signal. When you alk out to the plane the same thing happens and on the plane too. What I have noticed however is that if I say leave something on the spinning loading wheel (say an e-mail sitting in my outbox) it does send when we are on the runway (if you forget to turn your phone to aircraft mode). So obviously the signal is fine in the area, but the airport building and say 50 metres around its perimeter have some kind of vodafone blocking going on.

Given that this is one of the main airports in the UK, I would hope Vodafone could actually establish the problem in less than 3 years, although it seems they are doing the square root of nothing about it.

View more options
Highlighted

Mines exactly the same, I flew in and out last week, at soon as we touched down it was working fine up until the plane was on stand, then didn't work until train has left the airport, exactly the same in the return.

just fascinates me Voda can't resolve 

View more options
Highlighted

Yes this issue is frustratingly persistent! I've been following this thread for 2 years now and travel in and out of Stansted most Monday's / Tuesday's and have to switch my phone onto 3G data after landing and again when at bishop storford on the way back. 

I've sent tests to engineers at Vodafone and spoken with our business rep a number of times. No joy. 

View more options
Highlighted

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling to connect when in and around Stansted airport/train station. The materials used in these buildings may be causing some disruption to the signal you're receiving. If you manually change your phone settings down to 2G/3G whilst you're there and you may notice a difference. 

View more options
Highlighted

I basically tried all the network settings, 2G, 3G and 4G. None of them worked. It's not happening in a particular area of the airport, it's same everywhere.

View more options
Highlighted

Thanks for  confirming that @taylan👍 I've had a closer look into this and part from a little interference between 2am and 3am on 16 February, the mast serving you (4911), is working as expected and has experienced no recent outages.

So I can take a closer look into this for you please confirm 👉

- Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

- What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs?

- Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

- What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

- When did you first notice this issue?

- Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Once I have this information, I'll be able to offer more help with this.

View more options
Highlighted

Totally agree..... its the whole arrivals area for sure. Yet again we seem to be repeating ourselves.....several times i have spoken V whilst there and they confirm no signal or coverage issues. God knows what it is but you will only know if you physically send some people there who know what they are doing.

Ive had same trouble on 3 handsets now.....over 2 blinkin years....!

View more options
Highlighted

.....so perhaps you haven't started to address the issue as you are waiting for someone to provide you with the postcode for Stansted Airport!

(Try Google maps if you can get a signal)

Please think before you post....there are many seriously frustrated customer here....

View more options
Highlighted

Hi, I can post my experience although if you read all previous posts you will see this has happened for years at the airport. The phone appears to look as though it's working as it can show a full 4G but if you try and use the internet it does not work at all. It's not slow, it just doesn't load. This happens as soon as you enter the close proximity to the terminal. However it does occur outside the building but close to it, for example my plane when it landed the internet was fine, however when the plane stopped at the stand the internet was no longer working. I have tried 2 different iPhones at the airport both have the same problem. I just find it odd it's only Vodafone that has this issue. I did at one point use a different network when I was at the airport as only way to get internet

View more options
Highlighted
4: Newbie

Mark,

Sorry to say, it is  indeed a bit of meaningless trivia with those questions at this stage of this thread. There is statistics here with atleast 25+ people reporting the same issue over 3+pages  & 2.5 years of suffering poor coverage.

It is a fact that Stansted is causing issues to various people on vodafone.

Also,  no one so far as reported "everything was fine for me and signal and vodafone coverage was like a breeze!"...so in my view, it is not a user device/handset issue either given the context of various posts.

May I please suggest you liase with your Vodafone core networks team. Tthey used to based in London Paddington about 5-6 years ago and may have moved to York/Newbury HO now due to the office/org shuffling.

Here are some technical jargons, which might help you when you talk to them.

- 4G equipment & band configuration -eNB / LTE /QAM constellation setup

- Carrier aggregation tests results - Spectrum sharing stats (TDD/FDD)

At stansted, I can categorically say that clearly 95% of people facing issues will be indoors, so it is clearly a case of understanding the root cause of issue with the network setup, signal to wall penetration testing and applying the fix. Simple, yet complex for vodafone as it clearly have taken 30+ months and still understanding the issue?

View more options
Highlighted

Hi everyone, we recently completed an upgrade on the 4G site in the airport. If you're still experiencing any issues after restarting your phone, please message us on Facebook or Twitter with the following information and we can raise this to our Engineers:

• Full Name
• Mobile Number
• Full Address including postcode of affected area
• Alternative contact number
• The type of issue being reported (service type, coverage/voice/data/SMS etc)
• What are the symptoms being reported (please give as much information as possible)
• Issue start date and time
• Make and model of phone
• Specific examples of dates and times of failures, from the last 24 hours

If you include a link to your post and your Community username we can track down your message to us on Facebook or Twitter 

View more options
Highlighted

Interesting news 🤞🏻 .... ive got some travel dates in March so will deffo give feedback. 

View more options
Highlighted

Hoorah!

I'm flying out on Wednesday next, and will be all over that connection and report back  :o)

Good timing, I'm chatting with retentions about my contract renewal..

View more options
Highlighted

I hope you have a better experience than me. I was there Tuesday evening at 8pm and there was ZERO connection over 4g. Multiple speed tests couldn't even connect to a server. 3G works but is slow. Even for 3G. Sat next to a guy on EE who was getting 55mbps down on a speed test. Very frustrating. 

Highlighted

@IanDaniels

... sadly I think you'll be right and the speed will be the same. I was somewhat surprised to hear that things had been 'upgraded' as I've signed up for updates on that postcode and no updates had been notified.

I'll still try, and fortunately I'm out of contract now, so EE will get a good look in. I just need more comitment from EE about continuing included EU roaming next year. The chap I spoke to in Vodafone retentions was pretty certain that Vodafone are fully planning to continue next year.

I'll report back later in the week...

View more options