Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Kids mobile data

Mauricionoe
2: Seeker

Hi - I would like to set limits for my kids accessing mobile data. At the moment I can set timers on their WiFi usage but they then just switch to mobile data. The only way I can do it is to go into my account, select their number and then put a mobile data bar on their number. It takes time and is very hard to use. I also have to do it manually. Is there a way I can do it in the same way as I can with my broadband ie with a timer? The other issue i have is that I have Android and my kids have IOS so none of the screentime apps work.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GemmaP
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @Mauricionoe 

Thanks for the suggestion! The advice already given around age content bar and setting parental control is all correct.

However, I'll raise this to our suggestions team to see if we're able to implement something that would be easier to manage 🙂

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Children / young adults are resourceful @Mauricionoe 

In my own experience speaking to my children when they were younger helped set boundaries.

IPhone's do have parental controls and Vodafone have apps such as secure net but if a youth does not want to be restricted then they seem to find a way to circumvent restrictions.

So discussing boundaries does work.

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Mauricionoe

Thanks for the answers. I am looking for technical rather than parental advice. There is clearly no way I can do this which is odd given all broadband providers offer it. How can I request that Vodafone considers developing something like this? Its an increasingly important issue and I fear it will make me move to another network.

The Vodafone Social Media Team's who read all posts will take this type of request on board @Mauricionoe 

All the best.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

The important difference is that wifi access if controlled via your router, with the data connection itself remaining live, but access to it restricted.   With mobile data, that intervening device is not present, so all controls have to be via the connected device itself (ie the phone).   I'm not familiar with iOS, so I'm not sure what parental controls are available, although it would be worth investigating.   At present, turning mobile data off on the account is probably the only reliable tool - and not one that can be circumvented as long as you don't reveal the password.

Generally, I agree that education is the best route, though no child will ever stick rigidly to the rules.   Learning responsible use is an important part of growing up today.

I do agree, though, that a timed toggle for data might be a worthwhile addition to the My Vodafone app.

GemmaP
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @Mauricionoe 

Thanks for the suggestion! The advice already given around age content bar and setting parental control is all correct.

However, I'll raise this to our suggestions team to see if we're able to implement something that would be easier to manage 🙂

It’s been well over quest since Vodafone said they would consider adding this feature and it is still missing!

I recently moved from EE to Vodafone, EE have this feature and it is really useful for parents - looks like we’ll be moving back to EE as Vodafone is obviously not listening to what parents need. Manually having to block each child’s phone every night and unblock in the morning is clearly not usable.

In fact it’s been over 2 years so seems Vodafone definitely not interested in helping parents - suggest all to move to EE who have this feature