Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problem viewing discussions & sending private messages

ojos
4: Newbie

I have been encountering significant problems viewing posts after being informed that someone has responded to a discussion I am subscribed to. I go to

Notification feed
which this morning tells me I have 2 new comments in discussions I am following. I have struggled to view these comments but cannot find them. It seems to me that the layout of discussions is bizarre. I was expecting things to be listed in date order so that those 2 new posts would be at the end, but they're not. I cannot understand the very strange way things are laid out and, despite going fully thorough the discussion several times, I still cannot find the 2 new comments.
Can someone please explain the layout of discussions in this forum and tell me if there is some way I can organise it into date order to make it easier to read new items?

Related to this I attempted to send a private message to a moderator asking for help. I created the message and pressed Send expecting to see a "message sent" notification, but nothing happened. So I pressed Send again but the system remained silent but yet again, no suggestion of it having been actually sent. After several attempts it came and told me I had exceeded the maximum number of messages sent as permitted by the system. This got me worried and I went to a dialogue allegedly showing me information about my private messages.  However that was blank, suggesting I have never ever sent nor received any private messages. This again seems quite bizarre when I had just been informed I had exceeded the limit on sending messages.

Can anyone help with these strange experiences I am getting in using this forum?

5 REPLIES 5

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@ojos wrote:

I have struggled to view these comments but cannot find them. It seems to me that the layout of discussions is bizarre. I was expecting things to be listed in date order so that those 2 new posts would be at the end, but they're not. I cannot understand the very strange way things are laid out and, despite going fully thorough the discussion several times, I still cannot find the 2 new comments.
Can someone please explain the layout of discussions in this forum and tell me if there is some way I can organise it into date order to make it easier to read new items?

Vodafone recently updated the forum software, and it has completely broken it. We are all suffering.

For the problem of the posts not being in chronological order, you need change to linear layout instead of the default which is threaded.

Jayach_0-1697463097539.png

@Jayach wrote:

@ojos wrote:

I have struggled to view these comments but cannot find them. It seems to me that the layout of discussions is bizarre. I was expecting things to be listed in date order so that those 2 new posts would be at the end, but they're not. I cannot understand the very strange way things are laid out and, despite going fully thorough the discussion several times, I still cannot find the 2 new comments.

Vodafone recently updated the forum software, and it has completely broken it. We are all suffering.

For the problem of the posts not being in chronological order, you need change to linear layout instead of the default which is threaded.

Thanks, I've now resolved the problem of reading posts which makes it a lot easier.

I've still not resolved the following problem related to my attempt at sending my first private message today:

I attempted to send a private message to a moderator asking for help. I created the message and pressed Send expecting to see a "message sent" notification, but nothing happened. So I pressed Send again but the system remained silent but yet again, no suggestion of it having been actually sent. After several attempts it came and told me I had exceeded the maximum number of messages sent as permitted by the system. This got me worried and I went to a dialogue allegedly showing me information about my private messages.  However that was blank, suggesting I have never ever sent nor received any private messages. This again seems quite bizarre when I had just been informed I had exceeded the limit on sending messages.

Jayach

@ojos wrote:
Thanks, I've now resolved the problem of reading posts which makes it a lot easier.

I've still not resolved the following problem related to my attempt at sending my first private message today:

I didn't respond to that part of your original post, as I simply don't quite understand it.

I've made very little use of the PM's but I've just sent you one, and had no problems so why it didn't work for you, I've no idea.

@Jayach wrote:

I didn't respond to that part of your original post, as I simply don't quite understand it.

I've made very little use of the PM's but I've just sent you one, and had no problems so why it didn't work for you, I've no idea.

Thanks, yes I received notification that you sent me a PM.  Your PM appears on my Private Message page. However, while it shows your PM in my inbox as the very first PM I have ever received, I cannot open it. Whatever I click on the page it doesn't open your PM. So we can't get that to work. I tried adding a screenshot of the page to show you the screen I was struggling with, but Insert photos doesn't work for me!

My attempt to send a PM earlier to a moderator was for telling them the difficulty I had reading posts due to the chaotic way they were presented to me. However, I've now been shown how to manage display settings so my failed attempt to PM to moderator no longer matters as problem is solved!

Jayach

@ojos wrote:
However, I've now been shown how to manage display settings so my failed attempt to PM to moderator no longer matters as problem is solved!

Yes, it was me who replied to your other query.