Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Text scam! IMPORTANT!

sailorjerryboy
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi Peeps!

i just wanted to make as many people aware of a scam going about!

i discovered today I’ve been scammed!

Basically, somehow someone has got my number, and have sent me a text with positive vibes. At the time I thought ‘that’s odd, but nice’. (Photo attatched)

Only when I got my bill, I seen I’d been charged £4.50 for receiving it!! This happened twice, so £9 in one month. Thankfully I’ve sorted it, but I just wanted to make people aware that you CAN be charged for receiving texts. Ensure your premium rate bar is on (can be done via app or calling Vodafone). The number in question I got scammed by is 81618. I’ve also blocked this number via my iPhone.

After looking on the net, it appears to be happening to so many people. Some people have been charged 2 texts every month for 10 months! £90!! Their network refused to refund. So sooner you notice the better. But as always, prevention is better than cure! So get that block on ASAP! Check your bills for premium rate texts!

Id appreciate if Vodafone could sticky this for people to see. It saves people money and distress, and also saves use time and money!

Hope this helps someone somewhere :Smiley_face_with_shades:

2 REPLIES 2

hooker1uk
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

These are usually opt in but with many of them just clicking or being on a website with these dodgy adverts can be enough to get you charged due to drive by attacks in non updated or insecure browsers. It's recommended to contact phonepayplus or whatever they are called now https://psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers/ive-been-charged-what-next

They will help and the more issues they are aware of they can prosecute these scum bags and shut them down

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk 

Current devices: Nokia e7-00, Smart ultra 7 - archos xenon 96 

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK. 

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks @sailorjerryboy and @hooker1uk 👍 This information could be really useful for other Vodafone Community users!