Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Tu Go

bilko2
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Is Vodafone going to do anything like O2's Tu Go?

IE being able to make and recieve calls to my vodafone number over WiFi

Bill

66 REPLIES 66

mdt1988
4: Newbie

I'd be interested in knowing this too!

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi folks,

There aren't any plans to do so at the moment. I know there are a few apps you can download on many smartphones to allow calls over data such as Wi-Fi. I urge those who are looking for a similar service to voice their opinions here as we have lots of contacts that we can feed this back to if there's a big demand. :Laughing_Face:

Cheers, Ben

Ben 

Would be really interested in a app that can be used over wifi, there are a few dead areas for vodafone coverage round here but would have access to wifi it would be great to be able to use my phone

Please, please Vodafone develp an app similar to O2's Tu go.  There are many cases when travelling that a Vodafone signal is not available and a mobile phone connection via a web connection would be so very helpful.  Whilst the Vodafone's device is OK if you don't have a signal at home but is useless when travelling or at friends without Vodafone coverage.  Also, as we live in Norfolk where Vodafone coverage is "patchy" this type app would be so very helpful.

Don't worry, Vodafone have actually launched a couple of options much less 'fiddly' than the TuGo app:

Option 1: Wifi Calling

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/network/network-improvements/wi-fi-calling/

Option 2: SureSignal (if you have no plans to buy a phone which supports wifi calling:

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/accessories/SKU75375-white

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@diztig Unfortunately Option 2 would not be of use to the OP as they need a signal when travelling away from home. The OP mentions Norfolk and that county has been flagged up as poor signals quality by one of our CC's a number of times.

For many people investing in a compatible phone is not always feasible so wifi calling may also be off the list.

:smileysad:

@diztig

You have quite a strange definition of "fidfly", both options you present require specific hardware whilst TuGO requires nothing other than having a line with O2, heck you don't even need a phone.

Option 1 Wifi calling requires specific phones, pretty much iPhone and some Samsungs, TuGO works everywhere, any phone, tablet or even a browser.

Option 2 , sure signal requires extra hardware, a divice that you need to plug and configure, now that is fiddly, again TuGO requires none of that.

More over, both options are quite limited in comparison to TuGO, they're just about making and receving voice calls through internet, TuGO is more than that, in a way it is about making your mobile line truly portable, it is not an app, it is a service, I can access my voice mail and text messages from any device including a Browser on a computer, I can send text messages too, I can make and receive calls without carrying any special hardware, all using my standard phone number unlike Whatsapp Skype etc, it comes with any monthly plan with no additional cost.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi folks,

There aren't any plans to do so at the moment. I know there are a few apps you can download on many smartphones to allow calls over data such as Wi-Fi. I urge those who are looking for a similar service to voice their opinions here as we have lots of contacts that we can feed this back to if there's a big demand. :Laughing_Face:

Cheers, Ben

MTL
13: Advanced Member

WiFi calling? I can see that being useful, especially if the local mast decides to go for a snooze...