Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Points scam?

Michellemabelle
2: Seeker

Today I received a text message claiming that my Vodafone points would expire in three days. I clicked on the link they gave me: https://vodafone.coruks.buzz/search

and it had options such as an air fryer and earbuds. It was a bit suspicious, so I thought I'd ask here. I used the look up took and found that the number was not one of the Vodafone numbers, but I would just like to make sure. There was also a spelling mistake in the text, which also furthers my suspicion. 

1000029433.png

24 REPLIES 24

Hello @bobsmithtc I hope you're well. We haven't received any reports of malware being associated with this phishing scam, only that there is a risk to your personal details if you filled in the card information, so you shouldn't need to do anything if you just clicked the links. However, you could also run anti-virus software on your device to make sure, if you are concerned that it could be infected. 

Thank you Charlotte, that is what I did, and no threat was found :Smiling:

That's good hear @bobsmithtc Thanks for letting us know. 

CheltD87
1: Seeker

I literally had this today as well - guessing spam as my link is slightly different: vodafone.bcaouek.sbs

When pressing on the "Profile" icon at the top, the menu comes up but none of the links (i.e. Login, Upgrade, Existing Customer Deals), don't go anywhere.  That said, the menu that comes up when you click on the 3 lines in the top right, some links do go to the real Vodafone home page, but others come up with an error.  Be VERY careful!!

Hi @Michellemabelle. We understand how alarming this must have been to receive. Please refer to the Community thread that we've posted regarding this. 

jsiddiq

I also got a message and the first suspicious thing was the URL didn't look right

https://vodafone.luofkc.buzz/redeem_gifts

.buzz/   ?  Yeah, right.

The other suspicious thing was that you were being offered gifted +£0.01 to pay , which is where they were obviously going to hook you

jsiddiq

Oh to add. I blocked the number and if the number wasn't spoofed it looked like it was from Ethiopia dialling code +251. 

RobertGlen

I have received three texts along similar lines and contacted Vodafone to find out about Vodafone points. Vodafone didn't know what I was talking and were not really interested.

Pity that!

Often the operative golden rule is "If it's too good to be true, it's just that too good too be true (i.e. bogus).

1trixie
1: Seeker

Thanks for making people aware. Im nit even with Vodafone and got the text. Though I nearly clicked because recently had a contract for 2 years and thought it was points that I didn't know about.

If phones recognise a scam, why do they allow them into our phones?!?!! 🤦So annoying and frustrating.