cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iphone x unlock - the serial number (IMEI) you provided doesn’t match the one on your account.

keithop
4: Newbie

Hi there - has anyone else ever had this?

I've successfully unlocked phones on my vodafone account before but the iphone X refuses to unlock with messages back from the unlock team saying "Thanks for getting in touch about unlocking a phone. Unfortunately, we can’t do this because the serial number (IMEI) you provided doesn’t match the one on your account.
This is a security measure we use to make sure the phone belongs to the person asking for it to be unlocked."

Now, the phone is 100% the one vodafone sent me. The IMEI is 100% correct. So I'm at a loss as to what they're on about and of course, its all sent by noreply@ vodafone addresses.

I've tried phoning but hung on for ages and not got anywhere, all I get is "confirm your imei then" but it's 100% correct.

I suspect there may be some other problem and they're just selecting a close reason but if the IMEI isnt registered somehow, i'm at a loss as to how to get any further!

appreciate any help

thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi @keithop normally 3 months payments need paying before an unlock can be processed but from your message this does not seem to be a new account? 

One of the team here may be able to help but with the time of year it may be a few days before they get to your thread.

HI there - thanks, but the account is about 8 years old and has several phones on it

BandOfBrothers

Hi @keithop

I note you've unlocked numbers before on your Vodafone Account. 

One of the stipulations is less than x3 unlock requests on your number per year. 

Have you exceeded this ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

definitely not asked for 3 unlocks on one number in one year nope.

We tend to renew the phones every one or two years and we ask for an unlock immediately so we can use US sims etc for travel.

Is there some email address or someone I can talk to who can look into it a bit further?  I can't imagine vodafone sent out an iphone x without registering the IMEI against my account so the error message seems bogus.

BandOfBrothers

Yes Customer Services on 191 or Live Chat can escalate this and or supply you an email address for the Nuc Unlocking Department. 

Current Phone  >

ok fair enough. I've tried twice through customer services on the phone and theyve just said all they can do is resbumit and a few days later I get the dreaded decline :Sad_face:

BandOfBrothers

Ask specifically if.....

You have to clear x3 bills payments. 

And Ask specifically for the Nuc department email address. 

Current Phone  >

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@keithop We'd like to take a closer look into what's happening with your NUC. So we can investigate, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.