Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Alexa Signal Booster

harryp18
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi need to ask a few technical questions…

1. If I use the THG3000 Vodafone router as an AP, will the Alexa WiFI signal booster connect to it and work..?

2. Can I use the LAN connection to backhaul and create a WiFI booster if the THG3000 Vodafone router is not used..? 
Thanks. Depending on answers depends then if further questions get asked..  

9 REPLIES 9

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @harryp18 - Have you tried connecting your Wi-Fi booster to your router? If yes, have you had any issues?

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

There is no means to set up the THG3000 as a proper AP (access point).

If you run a cable from a LAN port on another router to the WAN port on the THG3000, it'll still be performing NAT (Network Address Translation).  While the extender should connect to the router (it was previously able to do so), configuring anything via the mobile app could become somewhat fraught and it's highly unlikely that VF would be able to remotely connect to the router if they needed to push an update to it!

I have the THG3000 running as an AP no problem.  

Jayach

The THG3000 doesn't have an AP mode, so how are you doing that? Are you connecting the LAN from you own router to a LAN port on the THG3000. If you are using the THG3000's WAN port you will be double NATing.

Yep, switched off DHCP, allocates an IP in range, switched on WiFi and changed SSID to what I wanted and then connected to LAN port..  Job done..  Easy..  😉😉

CrimsonLiar

Unfortunately, if you need any support from Vodafone, they need access to your router (such as pushing an update for your Alexa/extender) they use the TR-069 protocol which is not going to make it through the NAT (Network Address Translation) that it is impossible to turn off on the THG3000.

Double NAT isn't always problematic, but many of the problems that do manifest, just creep up on you and it's not always obvious that its the double NAT that is the problem!

I am using my own router as the THG3000 just isn’t man enough.. It allocated an IP with no internet access..  So raised the query with support..  ‘Reboot the router’ is the answer..  OK I will reboot again..  Yep things connect, try and add a new device, no chance..  

these routers are OK but just not enough WiFI  client capability..  

so used my own TP-Link router, Congo’s it up on PPPoE and added in UserID and password and a few other tweaks, connected it to the WAN port, job done all fixed..  

just wanted to use the Alexa extender, looks like not an option..

So main issue is for Vodafone to release a new more ‘man’d up’ router..  Especially as more people now WFH  (Working from Home)

Jayach

@harryp18 wrote:

connected it to the WAN port, 

Presumably that means you are on FTTP. What are you doing about the phone connection, or do you not use it?

Yes FTTP..  Not bothered about the VoIP phone TBH..  👍👍