Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Call from 01444 642682

alexakasloth
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello,

I received a call from this number claiming to be Vodafone, they stated I could receive an upgrade to FTTP speeds, is this a legitimate phone number? They knew my name however the OR website states there is no FTTP connection available.

Many thanks

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Looking at is vodafone calling it is Vodafone @alexakasloth 

Screenshot_20210705-163909_Samsung Internet.jpg

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

Looking at is vodafone calling it is Vodafone @alexakasloth  

Numbers can be and frequently are spoofed, sometimes legitimately - for example, I want potential customers to call my sales team at Wigan Wonder Widgets and Washers Plc on an 0800 number rather than the actual (chargeable) number from which my telemarketing  team is calling out on or...

... more often, to cheat and rob unsuspecting or gullible punters by offering something attractive for nothing but for which I need bank/credit card/personal details etc. 

'Who Called Me' has this to say about 01444 642682...  click the link and scroll down until you get to the reports.

My wife had similar, ostensibly from 02 offering her an enhanced phone deal - much more data at about the half the £10.xx she currently pays for 8Gb p/m. They knew her name too.  Needless to say... Scam!  Be alert folks.   Oh, if you need some Wonder Widgets and/or Washers, just PM me with you bank and card details plus everything there is to know about you for a great free deal. (Bank/card details are just for postage costs you understand)

BandOfBrothers

Scammers are indeed sly and use technology to their own advantage so if a person feels what they are bing told via a cold call does not ring true then it's always advisable to end the call and directly call the company @HappyNomad 

Also to not in my opinion agree to new deals and Terms-and-conditions from a cold call until they've had time to pursue clarification to what's best to choose or not choose.

The same with links in emails and texts. Just don't click on them.

Access the business via their official websites.

Current Phone  >

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

Scammers are indeed sly and use technology to their own advantage so if a person feels what they are bing told via a cold call does not ring true then it's always advisable to end the call and directly call the company @HappyNomad 

Also to not in my opinion agree to new deals and Terms-and-conditions from a cold call until they've had time to pursue clarification to what's best to choose or not choose.

The same with links in emails and texts. Just don't click on them.

Access the business via their official websites.

How does that square with your reassuring reply to @alexakasloth ?

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

Looking at is vodafone calling it is Vodafone  

AnnS

As far as I am concerned never believe the caller is who they say they are, with the correct software, it's simple enough to spoof the number, I had a call the other day and the only reason I answered  the call was because it was the same area code, just pity the genuine user of that number

As far as marketing calls from Vodafone are concerned, just opt out of everything, this is the customers line and number, the customer is paying for the service, the phone line is for the customers use that gives no other company or caller the right to call to sell on the number.

BandOfBrothers

The Op asked a direct question @HappyNomad 

is this a legitimate phone number ?   

I gave a direct answer to this question according in relation to the contact number the Op asked about, to what the Vodafone Official help page gave in connection to that number.

Current Phone  >

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@alexakasloth wrote:

I received a call from this number claiming to be Vodafone, they stated I could receive an upgrade to FTTP speeds, is this a legitimate phone number? They knew my name however the OR website states there is no FTTP connection available.

Perhaps you have CityFibre in your area. check here: https://www.cityfibre.com/residential/