cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I plug my Vodafone wifi router into open reach ONT box?

Shannonk97
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

C7C51197-D8B7-4E92-BDAD-AAF9E9F75711.jpeg

So we’ve just moved into a new house, today is our activation day and our Vodafone broadband still has not activated. We currently have it plugged into an open reach ONT box I think they’re called. Can it be plugged into this? The only phone line in the house is by the front door with no plug sockets near by. 

25 REPLIES 25

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

If you have the openreach ont then that's the way vodafone will deliver the service. It would be fine leaving the router plugged in, but commisioning can happen at any time up to midnight. You may even have to reboot or reset the router for provisioning if it's not activated tomorrow morning.

Reset it all this morning and the internet light is still flashing red, what to do now?

@Shannonk97 wrote:

Reset it all this morning and the internet light is still flashing red, what to do now?

Out of curiosity, which Vodafone service have you subscribed to?   They seem to have changed the package names to ’Fibre’  (FTTC)  and ‘Full Fibre’ (FTTP).  

Ripshod

@Shannonk97 what are the lights on the ONT doing?

It may be worth plugging a phone into any available socket to see if you get a dial tone. 

Jayach

Are you connecting the blue WAN port on the router to the ONT with the ethernet cable?

Flashing red indicates the router is trying to use the internet DSL port.

gipjon

@HappyNomad wrote:

Out of curiosity, which Vodafone service have you subscribed to?   They seem to have changed the package names to ’Fibre’  (FTTC)  and ‘Full Fibre’ (FTTP).  

Think its the one with poor customer service 

It’s the new full fibre 

Ripshod

What are the lights on the ONT doing? If you have 3 greens with the router connected and powered, or 2 with it disconnected then openreach is okay to go. If the second light is red then they haven't. Make a note of these then contact vodafone

https://vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd

Edit to add

Just seen the photo. Is that with the router connected and activated? If yes then the router is faulty. Either way you still need to contact vodafone with the above link. 

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:

Edit to add

Just seen the photo. Is that with the router connected and activated? If yes then the router is faulty. Either way you still need to contact vodafone with the above link. 

Or it's not an ethernet cable and/or plugged into the wrong port on the THG3000, which is what I suspect.

Edit: It looks too thin to be ethernet, it looks like it's a DSL cable.