Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cannot connect to 2.4Ghz wifi on new WiFi Hub

mroshaw
4: Newbie

Hi!

I connected up my new "WiFi Hub" router today, have had my fault HG2500 replaced, and I'm having a really weird problem.

I can see my 5Ghz SID broadcast no problem, but none of my devices can see anything broadcast on the 2.4Ghz channel. This includes the "Main" wifi and "Guest" wifi. Scanning on any device simply doesn't find the 2.4Ghz SID at all.

I've tried:

1. Splitting the Wifi - doesn't work, as the 2.4Ghz SID is simply not visible to any devices
  2. Enabling "Guest" on 2.4Ghz - doesn't work, none of my devices see the guest SID
  3. Changing "Main" to 2.4Ghz - doesn't work, no devices can connect to anything
  4. Tried every combination of "Bandwidth" (20/40/80Mhz) for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz in Expert Settings - no change whatsoever
  5. Tried every combination of "WiFi Mode" in Expert Settings - no change whatsoever

This is driving me BONKERS!

Anyone else having this problem and know how to resolve?

Thank you!

27 REPLIES 27

Can you recommend one buddy

@Mark wrote:

Hey @mroshaw I'm sorry to hear you've had this kind of experience with our Customer Service team and would love the chance to turn this around and get everything up and running again! As we'll need access to your account to take a closer look and order you a new router (if needed), pop us a message through one of our social channels and our dedicated team will be happy to take a look 👀

So, it's just impossible. I did as you asked, went through to "Jack" who "reviewed the notes" (and I'm talking dozens of hours spent on chat and phone calls) and his response:

"Have you tried resetting the router, I don't see anything from your notes to say you've tried that".

What do I have to do, Mark? It's literally impossible to get this resolved. It's an infinite loop of different people saying the same things over, and over, and over, and over. So far, I've explained the problem, and been through dozens of hours (HOURS!!!!!) of troubleshooting with:

1. Kalid
  2. Rohit
  3. Anas
  4. Arun
  5. Kajal
  6. Matt
  7. Joash
  8. Mark
  9. Evie

And where am I?

"Have to tried turning it on and off again?".

It's pathetic, mate, and I'm literally being driven to cancel my contract - there is absolutely no other way out of this infinite loop. Total joke.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@mroshaw wrote:

So, it's just impossible. I did as you asked, went through to "Jack" who "reviewed the notes" (and I'm talking dozens of hours spent on chat and phone calls) and his response:

"Have you tried resetting the router, I don't see anything from your notes to say you've tried that".

@mroshaw wrote:

Lovely chap called Jack got in touch, got a new router sent out. Arrived today, plugged it in, issue resolved.

Perhaps they are all called Jack, just so that when they ask "who did you speak to" there is no confusion.

@Mark wrote:

Hey @mroshaw I'm sorry to hear you've had this kind of experience with our Customer Service team and would love the chance to turn this around and get everything up and running again! As we'll need access to your account to take a closer look and order you a new router (if needed), pop us a message through one of our social channels and our dedicated team will be happy to take a look 👀

Lovely chap called Jack got in touch, got a new router sent out. Arrived today, plugged it in, issue resolved.

My home is now awash with sweet, sweet 2.4Ghz wireless. Hurrah!

Thanks Jack, but jeez, Vodafone, you could do so much better. Some suggestions:

• I've learned a lot about wireless networking, DNS, DHCP, SIDs and SID splitting - I think it's time you all did the same, so as to give a more informed and professional support experience to your customers.
  • Stop with the misinformation and lies. Of course the problem isn't with the cabinet, the problem's with the WiFi - no I won't wait "24 hours to see if it fixes itself". And no, the problem isn't that "all 18 of my connected devices must be faulty and cannot see 2.4Ghz signals". What a stupid and pointless thing to say. You're setting out to misinform and confuse customers to save having to sort things out yourselves or to get off the phone or chat. Horrible service and I just think myself lucky to be clued up enough to spot these deliberate attempts at misdirection.
  • Sort out your internal systems - the fact that no-one seems to have any sort of view of what's been asked, checked, tested or discussed as part of an open ticket. Bonkers. Are you all using Notepad? What do you mean "you can't escalate to 2nd tier support"? Why is that MY problem? Why can't you pick up the phone or send an email? What do you mean "have you tried resetting the router?" - can't you see I've tried it 15 times already, with 8 other support people?

You're missing two really simple things that are necessary to ensure customer satisfaction:

1. Know your product
  2. Know your customer

Neither even remotely applied in this situation.

Thank you again for finally reaching a resolution, but I really hope someone takes heed and has a long, hard look at how you work as a customer focussed organisation.

VINDICATION.

I've got the exact same experience as you. I'm a new customer and days on the phone with tech support who clearly don't have a clue how to diagnose a router fautl. I've adjusted every setting, factory reset, split signal, restarted, change channels, change devices. I've even been told my 5 x devices that can't connect to the router are defective. What a bloody joke.

Please can you tell me who you contacted to get it resolved. I'm about to loose it. I'm working from home and Vodafone are costing me my income and damaging my business reputation because of their complete incompetence in addressing faulty hardware that they sent out

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Bansheck01. Our Social Media team are trained in Broadband queries. We're unable to discuss accounts over the forum, but please pop the team a message with a link to your post and your landline/account number and they'll be able to enter your account and assist 

I am having the same problem. It is there any way of changing the channel used for 2.4 ghz from 1-13 to 1-11?

That seems to be the problem with the 2.4 ghz broadcast that it seems to default to 12 and 13 when my 2.4 ghz system only does channels 1-11.

Thank you

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

@gsknight wrote:

I am having the same problem. It is there any way of changing the channel used for 2.4 ghz from 1-13 to 1-11?

That seems to be the problem with the 2.4 ghz broadcast that it seems to default to 12 and 13 when my 2.4 ghz system only does channels 1-11.

Thank you

Have a look at this thread for a 'really shouldn't be necessary - thanks Vodafone for making it so difficult' work-round… https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Can-I-change-my-home-broadband-channel/td-p/...

… and then look at the two posts above yours.:

Forum User:  “I'm a new customer and days on the phone with tech support who clearly don't have a clue”

Forum Staff:  “Our Social Media team are trained in Broadband queries.”

So… if you want solutions to technical problems, don’t talk to technical support staff, talk to the social media team.  Makes sense to somebody no doubt.  😳