Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Digital Voice Dial tone

Auntypan
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I can receive and make calls but no dial tone when I lift handset. Vodafone are telling me that’s okay but I find on several sites I should have a dial tone. 
Should I have a dial tone ?

8 REPLIES 8

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Yes, while it's working fine the missing dial tone would indicate a problem with the router's setting.

You can force a download of the settings by factory resetting your router. Do this by holding in the recessed button at the back of your router for 10 seconds while it's powered up. When the router has rebooted leave it for a few minutes for all your settings to be downloaded fresh and for any updates, then test again (I usually recommend a 15 minutes settling time). 

I’ve just tried that, no difference. One significant thing though, when I key in a number and then press the dial button there’s a pause before the number is dialled but during that pause I hear the dial tone

Ripshod

Chances are the dial tone is so quiet it's being muted by some noise cancelling in the handset. When you dial the key tone is louder and breaks through the noise cancelling. Do you have another phone to test with? 

I don’t have another phone, that will be my next step. Am I correct that the tone is generated by the router when there’s a off-hook condition. Has anyone heard this dial tone on the Vodafone Hub and if so what phone is being used, Regards

Ripshod

Yes, tones should be generated exactly the same as the old PSTN analogue service. I had it working fine with my BT 2200's (standard DECT). 

I have a Gigaset C620A so it should be okay i would have thought

Ripshod

According to the manual:

"The dial tone will only be heard when pressing the call button for 2 seconds. A short press will open the redial list"

Don't know if that's applicable. The only fix I can find for the missing dial tone on gigaset phones is a factory reset. 

yes you’re right about the 2 seconds, i realised that last night. Its always been the case I had just forgotten not having used the phone for a while. I must have been thinking about the old pulse dial phones which gave the dial tone immediately you lifted the handset, put it down to a senior moment. Thanks for your help