cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Do I need engineer visit for contract renewal of Superfast 2 Xtra Broadband?

Del80
4: Newbie

I have been with Vodafone Broadband for several years and I have just come to the end of my contract. I am on Superfast 2 Xtra which has a maximum speed of 73 Mbps.
The costs of this have now crept up for various reasons recently and now I am paying nearly £40 per month for this. This includes unlimited calls to landline and mobile.

So I thought it was a good idea to get a new contract which would hopefully be a lower price. I agreed a price of £28 with the Vodafone online chat service with exactly the same plan as now at the same speed with a two year contract which includes unlimited calls to landline and mobile.

I was then surprised to be told that an engineer would have to visit my house even though it is the same speed I am getting at the moment. Is this because this speed is treated as the lowest speed of the superfast broadband?

To be honest at the moment I am a bit reluctant to have an engineer in to fit ultrafast technology at the moment as this seems quite a significant job and the engineer has to fit an external junction box and drill a hole in the inside and the outside of the building. I found details of this at the Openreach link. https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/full-fibre-broadband-installation-checklist#accordion-b43...

At the moment I am obtaining speeds of up to 60 Mbps which is reasonable and if I am using the same router I don't see why I would need an engineer to come in.

Was the Vodafone chat advisor wrong or does everyone seeking to renew their broadband contract have to have an engineer visit even if they're not going to be getting ultrafast speeds?

Thanks for any help you can give here.

3 REPLIES 3

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

likely you will, as there's a good chance you'll be moved to fttp. The installation is not that significant a job, barring any problems it should be done in thirty minutes, and no mess.

Del80
4: Newbie

Thanks for your reply. 

If I just stay on the same contract as now which is a rolling 30 day contract would I eventually have to move to fttp?

Ripshod

Yes. It's inevitable now. The copper switch off was scheduled for next year, but I don't think it'll happen for another 2 years after that, at least.