Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

FTTC to Vodafone FTTP but migrate landline to VOIP provider

Shas_s54
3: Seeker

Hello

im looking to order Vodafone FTTP but want to move my telephone number to another VoIP provider. I’m currently with Plusnet for my broadband and telephone. 

What would be the best way to transfer my number to another provider without the risk of loosing my number?

Would it better to place a new order with Vodafone with a brand new number and then port my telephone number to a VoIP provider after FTTP has been installed, paying for FTTC and FTTP for a month. I noticed that when placing an order with Vodafone I have the option to keep the current broadband connection alongside full fibre. 

Or would it be better to port the number over to a VoIP provider before the FTTP installation and risk not having internet for a few days?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

If you port your number away from most UK ISPs they would automatically cancel the broadband associated with it. So yes, it would make sense to port the number while you're waiting for the changeover. Be careful though - too soon and you'll have to go without broadband for a while, whilst leaving it too late could lose you that number. 

Shas_s54

How long is the switch over?

Can I just have my old FTTC broadband and telephone running at the same time as FTTP? Then once FTTP is up and running, port the number over to VoIP provider which then cancels the old connection. I don’t mind paying for both services for a month

Ripshod

I missed that. As the two use different delivery methods then sure, I don't see any reason why you can't have both side-by-side. 

CrimsonLiar

There is nothing to stop you from trying, though that would be easier if you are in an Openreach area rather than CityFibre.  But if it goes wrong, it could be messy!  Personally I'd go with @Ripshod 's suggestion - provided you are careful there's less chance of error!