cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

File permissions of shares on Black Hub.

Paulous
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have files on media plugged into the USB port, all seems 'OK'.

I put media files for sharing (M4A/AAC) from my Win 11 PC, after a day or so I cannot access them on that PC. I'm trying to access the file from a PC that originally transferred them there.

I get error 0x8007003A. It appears the hub is changing the file permissions, can anyone comment?

I also use Linux mint on my laptop that can access the files.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@Paulous I'm sorry to say that any update to the firmware is unlikely and even if it were to happen it would be slow in appearing. Like many routers, I believe that the VF one is based on a cut-down linux/unix operating system which gets sporadic updates. The most recent changes seem to be just ones that reduce the amount of configurable settings which are now managed by some kind of automation.

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

Ripshod

The error code you've posted does not refer to file permissions - it refers to file corruption. Plug the drive into your pc and run a disk check.

We can't trust any router to keep our files safe, the vf router even less so. If you want to serve files or media on your network please use a NAS device (dedicated or DIY is fine).

Hi Ripshod,

I've noted your comments on security, no files are on the shared drive that need security, they are all copies of media files that I like to be shared on the network (my record collection).

I don't really want to maintain another device or plug another box using power when this should do what I'd like it to.

I have done exactly what you said, I scanned the USB memory stick, no errors found. Also scanned with Bit defender. Files were copied off the memory stick whilst plugged in the the PC OK, when relocated to the Vodafone Hub, unable to access, either to play with VLC or copy to a local drive, same error code. I did check that code and it is for file corruption. 

The reason why I thought it may be permissions is that the file permissions are changed when transferring to the USB drive on the Hub.

I hope this helps.

Cynric

@Paulous There's another thread current on the same subject here https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Windows-11-laptop-thinks-some-file-on-router...

The router is the problem, not the media stick.

Hi Cynric

Thanks for the info. The thread you mention on its last few updates drifted from the primary subject of files and shares in dual booting linux.

I do believe there is a background task running that changes file permissions and perhaps causes file corruption for windows access, I cannot remember why I realized the hub was changing file permissions as I've sat on this issue of mine for a couple of months, when research possible causes someone said that file permissions was the cause of two thirds of sharing problems (between Linux and MS Windows).

I will do some more on this to see if I can further anything!

Is there anyway that Vodafone technical can be approached to looking to resolve this in future hub updates? I've just signed up for another 2 years!

regards, Paulous

Cynric

@Paulous I'm sorry to say that any update to the firmware is unlikely and even if it were to happen it would be slow in appearing. Like many routers, I believe that the VF one is based on a cut-down linux/unix operating system which gets sporadic updates. The most recent changes seem to be just ones that reduce the amount of configurable settings which are now managed by some kind of automation.

Thank you all.