Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Hi, THG3000 with Decos4?

Dconn
4: Newbie

Hi what’s the best set up using a deco s4? I’ve currently got it plugged into the thg3000 router/modem with Wi-Fi turned off.  I have a ont box on the wall which I believe is fttp? Am I able to lose the Vodafone router and connect the defo straight to the ont unit? Thank you in advance for any help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

The Deco will connect directy to the ONT, so your thinking is correct. All you need are your PPPoE login details from vodafone

Bear in mind you will lose easy access to your digital voice service, though it is possible to work around this if needed. 

View solution in original position

18 REPLIES 18

Ripshod

The Deco will connect directy to the ONT, so your thinking is correct. All you need are your PPPoE login details from vodafone

Bear in mind you will lose easy access to your digital voice service, though it is possible to work around this if needed. 

Perfect, thank you. We don’t use the landline anyway so it isn’t an issue. 

CrimsonLiar

If you've not already bought them I'd probably be looking at more powerful mesh units than the Deco S4.  At Ac1200 and with the albeit smart backhaul they're really only going to be good for pretty basic networking.

I could  upgrade them as was looking to get more units anyway. What would you recommend? 

All done and really easy aswell. Now I’m wondering if I need to upgrade the mesh system🙈

Ripshod

How large is your home? What sort of layout, construction? 

it’s a new build house over 3 floors. Under the stairs is where the ont box is and has 3 Ethernet ports that lead elsewhere. One in living room and hallway on ground floor and one on top floor. 

Jayach

@Dconn wrote:

Now I’m wondering if I need to upgrade the mesh system🙈

If it's doing all you want, then no.

Im running a lot of wireless equipment and some of it struggles slightly. It’s why I wanted rid of the isp router to see if that helps. Running Ont to the s4 seems to have lost some speeds though so may swap back to original set up or potentially upgrade.