Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Need to keep resetting Asus Router

L8N
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi all,

So I managed to get my Asus AX88U router all setup and working. The annoying thing is that at the bare minimum, I'm having to reset the router once per day. The internet light goes red so I push the reset button on the back. Once it's loaded up it'll work perfectly until the following day when I have to reset it again.

Is there a fix for this? I've set the Vodafone router back up in the meantime as I can't be bothered with the hassle of the internet going off every day.

22 REPLIES 22

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

What firmware are you on? I have Merlin's 388.4beta2 with no issues.

I feel this is more a firmware issue than vodafone's service, so it may be worth making a parallel post on the snb forums. I have read of this problem before, but it was a different model and isp. 

How do I check the firmware please?

Ripshod

Firmware version is at the top of almost every page in the gui:

1000033339.jpg

CrimsonLiar

We're kind of at the daft question phase!  What I'm aware of being able to cause the connection break in the manner you are describing would be having a second device connected outside of the NAT area, or a second device trying to sign into the account using the PPPoE username and password.  We can discount the first now, so do you have a Windows device of XBox that's been set up at some point to connect directly to ONT using that PPPoE username/password combo.  Oddly doing this often won't kill the connection immediately, but only when the WAN-DHCP from your ISP is renewed.  So is there any chance you've set up the PPPoE settings on another device that is still being used with those settings in place but are now trying to use it from behind the router?

*I'm aware of this because I've mistakenly done this myself before now!

CrimsonLiar

More questions than answers I'm afraid!

So can we assume that you have FTTP and are directly connecting the AX88u to the ONT?

When you say resetting, I would assume that you mean power cycling (after unmounting any USBs)?

If you've recently moved from FTTC (VDSL2) to FTTP do you have the correct username and password for the connection?

Normally if there's an issue with the WAN connection you'll get errors showing up in the "System Log>General Log" of the AX88u what if any errors are showing up here?

Yep FTTP directly to the ONT.

We were with Virgin media previously and had no problems. The reason I had to set up my Asus Router was due to the problems i was having with my Xbox. I previously put a post up and apparently it was a common problem.

Username and password are correct. Like I said it works perfectly then I'll randomly get the red internet light come on, power cycle the router on and off, and it'll work perfectly again until the next day.

I'm going to set up the Asus Router again today and keep an eye on any errors that may log.

CrimsonLiar

Is a cable running directly from the WAN port of the Asus router directly to the ONT - nothing in between?

Are you just power cycling the router or resetting it.  If resetting it, other than your un/pass and WiFi SSID/pass what settings are you making?

Do you know if your FTTP is via CityFibre or OpenReach?

If you are present when the red Internet light appears on the router do the LEDs on the ONT stay "good"?

Is a cable running directly from the WAN port of the Asus router directly to the ONT - nothing in between?

yes

Are you just power cycling the router or resetting it.  If resetting it, other than your un/pass and WiFi SSID/pass what settings are you making?

just power cycling the asus router via the button on the back

Do you know if your FTTP is via CityFibre or OpenReach?

openreach

If you are present when the red Internet light appears on the router do the LEDs on the ONT stay "good"?

ive just set the Asus router back up so I'll keep an eye on it the next time it goes off

Ripshod

@L8N would you say this is happening at roughly the same time each day? (perhaps getting later each time?)

@CrimsonLiar do you know what VF's WAN IP lease time is?

I think you can see where I'm going with this.