Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High FEC Corrections and CRC errors on upstream

willink
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can anyone advise if FEC upstream corrections increasing 3000 every 3 seconds is normal...  Just about to clock 100 million in 2 days.

I'have had dropouts of IM clients (not broadband connection though) since my line moved from BT to Vodafone.. BT on Fibre has been stable for years before the move.

Even disabling wireless on the router, connecting only 1 laptop to the physical port and having no internet activity there is still a 200 per 3 second increase...

This says to me something is wrong somewhere... CRC error count is 8775 after 2 days as well, downstream looks good 6 corrections and no CRC errors...

I woudl prefer to use my HG612 and synology router rather than this connect piece of crap. or at least for a test to rule out hardware fault. Was told it would go in modem mode by vodafone store when I agreed to move over and that's not available either.

Spoke to VF support, as much use as a chocolate teapot... so hoping someone in the community has seen these high errors before, or maybe someoen from vodafone but I won't hold my breath...

305 REPLIES 305

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Definitely looks like a line fault, you will need to keep on at VF until they call OR out again.

OR engineers are very variable. My 2nd engineer (who referred to himself as the BT engineer so was obviously an old hand) said all the tests passed, as did the first, but there were "anomalies" on the fibre and went off to do extra tests at the cabinet. He called back later and said he was putting me on a different fibre port and it has been perfect ever since.

Edit: You should have been given a fault number and direct phone number to 2nd line. It will still take forever to get answered but keep at them because absolutely nothing will be happening except when you call.

Yes, I've had at least 5 of them on it over the last couple of months. Each gave a slightly different take on the issue and what needed doing next. It didn't help that they installed a defective VDSL faceplate the last time and it took me 2 days to get the extension phone wiring working again although the guy who put it in wouldn't have know the phone side of it was broken. Frankly though Openreach have been 100x more helpful than Vodafone who are currently ignoring me despite having raised a formal complaint.

sicallaghan
1: Seeker

Hi all

I am having the same issue and I'm really struggling to speak to anyone from Tech2, I need to speak to someone about this as this issue has been going on for over a week.

Thanks in advance

sicallaghan, 

This was originally my post as I was having quite serious problems with upload/download speeds which I personally thought were related to the high FEC correction rates.

Things had improved (don't know how or why) and I have therefore been quiet recently.

However..

For the past couple of months I have noticed a deterioration in both my upload and download speeds AGAIN. I went in and checked the router stats and, lo and behold, the errors were back. In fact, my download speeds had deteriorated so much that for the past couple of months I have been given the "guarantee" discount on my monthly broadband bill as the download was below 24Mb/s.

Last week I phoned Vodafone support to complain. After all, what I really want is the download speeds I am entitled to NOT a monthly discount.

After claiiming to reset my DLM (Dynamic Line Management) to no effect, this week they agreed to swap out my router for a new one.

It was delivered yesterday and provisioned within a couple of hours of being delivered. Unfortunately, the upload/download speeds have NOT improved. I was told to wait a few days for DLM to adjust to my configuration, but I don't hold out much hope of any improvement.

So, what next? Well I will phone Vodafone customer services again early next week to see what they suggest.

My point is this...

AFTER SUCH A QUIET PERIOD WHERE EVERYTHING SEEMED TO BE WORKING FINE, WHY DID THE ACTIVITY ON THIS FORUM COINCIDENTALLY INCREASE AT THE SAME TIME THAT I ALSO STARTED TO EXPERIENCE THE SAME PROBLEMS I WAS ORIGINALLY HAVING?

VODAFONE, PLEASE WAKE UP AND CARRY OUT SOME FURTHER, THOROUGH INVESTIGATIONS. THERE'S OBVIOUSLY SOME FUNDAMENTAL PROBLEM WITH YOUR INFRASTRUCTURE (OR THAT OF OPENREACH, GIVEN YOUR ARE DEPENDENT ON THEM FOR THE LAST MILE OF DELIVERY) THAT IS CAUSING FAR TOO MANY ERRORS ON THE LINE AND RESULTING IN DLM REDUCING THE OVERALL PERFORMANCE OF THE BROADBAND; BOTH UPLOADS AND DOWNLOADS.

SORT IT OUT!!!!

After over a year of trying to sort out the high FEC upstream numbers and the subsequent line drops and the subsequent reductions in speeds, I eventually gave in and bought a new router (technicolour TG589vac v2 cost was £70).   Everything is now fine !   Which goes to provide further evidence (if any more were needed !) that the vf Huawei router is fundementally flawed.   While those on this thread understand the issues I suspect that many vf customers don't realise they have a "high FEC upstream" issue, and that this has resulted in a significant drop in their bband speeds.    If only vf would acknowledge the issue.  (Perhaps they are working on a new router model and hoping the FEC issues go away).

I had the same issue a couple of years ago which was eventually cleared with no intervention from myself. I feel at the moment I going through an uphill struggle to get someone to understand my issue. I get normally an average of 48mb-50mb, currently I am down more than 50% of that and I am been told there is no issues that the tech2 team can see.

Thankfully it appears people here do understand the issue which I only hope will give me more ammunition when speaking to customer services.

Currently I am awaiting a new router from Vodafone but I think maybe my best option is to buy a router myself as it appears to be fixing peoples issue.

I really shouldn't come to that but if its my only fix then i'll go for it...