Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Intermittent issue with EPSON printer on Vodafone router

jcwacky
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Ever since getting Gigafast in May I've struggled to get my EPSON XP-8600 working reliably with the Vodafone router ("Vodafone Wi-Fi Hub").

I'll connect the printer to the Wi-Fi using the screen on the printer and it will connect fine and allow me to print a document. But as soon as I try to print another document the computer says "Communication error" and fails to find the printer.

If I turn the printer off then on again it will often then let me print another 1 or 2 documents before doing the same thing.

• The issue occurs whether printing from my iMac, MacBook or iPhone.
  • If I connect my computer and printer to my old (non-Vodafone) router it works absolutely fine.
  • The router and printer show the strength of the Wi-Fi connection as "Excellent",
  • I've tried resetting the printer and router to factory settings, and the router is running the latest firmware (19.4.0551-3269082).
  • Printer and router in different rooms, so can't connect it via USB instead, needs to be Wi-Fi.

I've spoken to Vodafone at length on live chat and we got nowhere. They wouldn't even send me a new router to try as apparently it doesn't count as "service impacting".

Anyone else had similar issues?

7 REPLIES 7

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @jcwacky, When your printer disconnects from your WiFi, does anything else lose connection? If it's just the printer, this indicates the issue is connected to the printer, not the router and changing this wouldn't resolve the issue. Have you tried resetting the printers network settings? This is a simple procedure and may help resolve your connection issues. If this doesn't help, try reaching out to Epsom and make sure the printer is running the most up to date software and has no other faults that maybe causing these issues.

That's the thing, I don't believe it's disconnecting or dropping off the Wi-Fi, as when a device is failing to find the printer, both the printer and the Vodafone router say that the printer is still connected to the Wi-Fi. It never actually disconnects, it's as if the Vodafone router just isn't allowing the device to see the printer.

Yep, tried resetting the whole printer, and it is up to date firmware wise.

I recall having some issues with my phone detecting my Logitech Harmony Hub via the router, but I've not touched that in a while.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

When you said you've reset the printer, did this include resetting the printer drivers? This can also help with communication errors. Epson's website has more information on how to do this, along with many other troubleshooting steps.

As mentioned the issue also occurs when printing from my iPhone, which doesn't have/require printer drivers.

That link seems to go to an unofficial Epson scam website, you may wish to remove or update it!

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks @jcwacky - the link is an independent support page, you can find the official one here

🙂

Please remove the link so that others don't follow it. It is a scam, see here: https://www.epson.co.uk/stop-scams They pretend to be Epson support and ask for large amounts of money after taking over your computer. My aunt fell for one recently when she had printer problems, but fortunately she called me before paying.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for bringing this to our attention @jcwacky - it wasn't something we were aware of.

I've updated the link to the correct one.