Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

NAT issue in vodafone's network

Decbeck92
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello,

i'm having some issues with my NAT type particulary for online gaming with freinds/family, for example on the kids nintendo switch it shows nat type D. (From what ive read i need to be type A/B for peer to peer)

I have a TP-Link MR6400 4G LTE router with a Vodafone pay monthly sim inside, i can see when i traceroute to google 8.8.8.8, it leaves my gateway on 192.168.1.1 and then goes to 192.168.0.1 (Vodafone's netowork) which follows by a series of internal IP addresses before hitting a public IP where the NAT is taking place, initially i tried to setup a DMZ for the Switch on a static IP and also tried port forwarding but of course this isn't going to work as  this would need doing where the packets are being NAT;d.

Can anybody advise any solution to this problem? unfortunatly i don't have any other broadband option aside the 4G currently, i would prefer to not have to buy another router either plus i suspect the ports would need permitting through a firewall in vodafone's network and i'm guessing for residential a change request woulden't work? :). But any options or solutions would be much appriciated.

Thanks,

Declan

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was kinda hoping that someone else would be able to answer this in a more positive manner...

Unfortunately, it seems that the way VFs mobile broadband is currently set up, there is no way around the "Double NAT" issue that you are seeing.  Others have posted questions regards related issues, and as far as I am aware they remain unresolved!

Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved yet?

Anyone able to shed any light on this?

just ordered Vf Gigacube 5g

I am an online gamer and it is my career. Is it worth cancelling my order now? As without an open or even Moderate Nat it would be pretty pointless.

thanks

My experience is it really depends on the game. 

Overwatch on Xbox I have zero problems in finding a match and playing with lag or issue. However, I can't play with certain specific people. I have to tether to my phone using giff gaff to play Mario kart 8 on switch, but if I matchmake I can find players that are available.

Worth trying for 30 days in my opinion. I decided that the speed boost I was getting over my previous broadband was worth the issue in multiplayer.