Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Open conversation: The recent spate of problems

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Let's discuss the elephant in the room here - no far-fetched conspiracy theories please.

We've all seen it and we've all learned some recently. From app errors to wifi failures. But what's causing it? It hasn't escaped the attention of the regular members here that Vodafone recently pushed a firmware update, but being closed source we can't prove anything, or even help vodafone. 

The fact that it relates to IPv6 is plainly obvious. Are vodafone preparing for an up-coming opening of IPv6? Are they testing right now?

What's your thoughts (keep it decent)?

17 REPLIES 17

Iguana
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

My thoughts are it's likely Vodafone are preparing for IPv6 "switch on" at some point.

I'm fairly new to these forums so I am curious as to more specifics on what issues are being seen that relate to IPv6, are there any threads you could link as examples?

I'm currently running THG3000 and I believe I am on the latest firmware, so far (touch wood) I haven't noticed any Wi-Fi related issues.

@Ripshod wrote:

We've all seen it and we've all learned some recently. From app errors to wifi failures. 

The fact that it relates to IPv6 is plainly obvious. Are vodafone preparing for an up-coming opening of IPv6? Are they testing right now?

Ripshod

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-connection/My-vodafone-wifi-has-stopped-letting-my-phone-o...

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-connection/Broadband-WIFI-keeps-disconnecting/m-p/2740542#...

JJust a couple to whet your appetite (I'm at work on a mobile).

Before this recent update we never saw any Ipv6 problems. If we were to assume vodafone were preparing for the big switch on, like I did nearly three years ago with their "network upgrades", we'll likely be disappointed again. Yes, maybe their firmware changes are in preparation but, in reality, everyone has been saying that about a lot of networks for a long time now. Definitely a maybe though. 

Cynric

I was thinking it might be a combination of working towards implementing IP6 and trying to solve the load balancing issue at the same time. Given that IP6 gives everything a unique address then each device could be routed separately, a kind of mega QoS. Some years ago the industry was trying itself in knots over wether they should have different speeds for services (protocols) and could they make money that way.

CrimsonLiar

Historically (maybe 5 or 6 years back) we did see some IPv6 related issues on Vodafone, when someone seemed to be "testing" on the live servers.  It didn't happen much, but when it did, it caused havok!

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Morning everyone, incase any of you haven't seen @Janey post on another thread similar to this, I'm just reposting it here: 

'We’ve identified a routing issue impacting a small number of users who use Android apps, and it’s currently being looked into. Sorry for the disruption caused, we're getting it resolved as quickly as we can. If you need more help with this, please speak with our Broadband Tech team on 191 free from a Vodafone mobile or 03333 040 191 from any other phone. They're also available on Live Chat.'. 

Ripshod

Thanks for the additional info @Gemma

So when dealing with new problems we have to consider both fixes as possibilities, but which first? My mind says the IPv6 option is the easiest to "fix" so I'll be working through that first. Hopefully this new routing issue shouldn't last long 🤞🤞

Or are these issues two sides of the same coin? (conjecture) 

Cynric

I think that I would prefer VF to "put their cards of the table" concerning these issues. Asking customers to individually to call the help desk is inefficient. 

Cynric

Additional comment: other companies have a publicly available bug, defect and development log (GitHub etc). These companies recognise the value of this because it helps those who are sufficiently skilled to avoid calling the help desk and encourages those who do make contact to engage more fully.

ChrisJB1
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have this problem. When I check Google maps in the morning on my s23 ultra, the phone has to disconnect from the WiFi and connect to 4g. Takes about 30 seconds. I also see slow speeds on the WiFi, never on wired connection. If I turn the WiFi off and on and run a test it's normally fine. Not great for over £60/m.