Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Openreach HG612 settings

potatouser
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Just wanted to share my experience with using the HG612-3B (unlocked) with VF broadband (superfast 2 VDSL).

Settings are attached in screenshot below but will add them here as well for ease of copy/pasting.

I unlocked a standard HG612-3B with firmware B030SP08 (webgui version) available here https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

The only settings I changed are as follows (on WAN setup section of HG612 GUI);

Layer2 interface - ptm1/(ptm1_0_1)

WAN connection - Enable

Service list - Internet

Port binding - LAN1

Connection mode - Bridge

Bridge type - PPPoE_Bridged

DHCP transparent transmission - (not enabled)

WAN 802.1q - Enable

VLAN ID - 101

VLAN 802.1p - Enable

Value - 0

LAN 802.1q - (not enabled)

LAN 802.1p - (not enabled)

Ethernet from LAN1 port of HG612 plugged into WAN port of router (in my case the Vodafone THG3000)

Important points to note;

Openreach HG612 IP is set by default to 192.168.1.1 so the router IP (Vodafone THG3000 in my case) should be in the format of 192.168.1.x (in my case I set it to 192.168.1.2) and DHCP routing on router in same IP range (in my case starting at 192.168.1.3)

Authentication details (Vodafone PPPoE username and password) are then input into the router, these can be obtained from Vodafone CS chat easily. As I was using the Vodafone hub as my router, I didn't need this step.

DNS Configuration on router is set to default or automatic (ie pulled from Vodafone). If its anything other than default/auto then the router doesn't seem to authenticate upon first connection and the internet won't work. I have yet to change it since first connection to see what happens. (EDIT: changing DNS servers after first authentication seems to work fine)

Firewall - Not sure about this one, its enabled on the HG612, so I turned off the firewall on the router. No idea if this is okay or will cause problems if both are on.

And thats it, it just works after that. I am not that tech savvy with all the other settings on the HG612 (there are a lot) so I am not sure if there are other things that should be done to improve connection etc. any hints?

I have noted a dip in the sync speed (has only been connected for 18 hours so far) and an increase in SNR upon first connection so I'm guessing after a period of time at a stable sync the DSLAM will kick in and increase things (did have a better sync and SNR prior to connecting the HG612) - Will monitor this anyway.

Hope this helps, I couldn't find a comprehensive guide on using the HG612 with Vodafone so thought I'd do my own for anyone else that might need it.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

gipjon
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Seams very easy to follow. I can see a few people using this 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Generally with the HG612V3b after updating the firmware and an initial reboot, all that is needed is to go into the menus and change its local address (192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254 are popular) so that you can connect to LAN2 for the stats and you are done!

It's actually got a great deal of flexibility, and you can set it such that you can access the menus with just a single cable - though if I (specifically me) do this I can't get DSLstats to access the extended info for it's graphs.

You can set it up such that you have the username and password in the modem too - it's a long time since I did this - but in order to get it working 100% you have to make multiple setup changes, and you are still left with a slightly lower data throughput.

*The biggest problem with the HG612V3b is that they're all getting old, and thanks to running rather hot (not the only VDSL modem that does this) tend to slowly cook themselves, meaning that they eventually fail!  If you can mount the modem vertically it'll tend to cool better!

I know its old, but was very cheap ha ha.

Have it mounted vertically, read all the info I could about overheating, seems the ECI version was more prone to overheating than the 3B.

I just wanted a quick fix to keeping a stable DSL connection, been having issues with frequent drop outs the past few months, had Openreach out twice to check the line, no line faults found, whole phone socket changed. Only the Vodafone hub left as a potential culprit, so wanted that to be separate from the DSL connection to monitor further and as a bonus have the ability to upgrade router at anytime without bothering the DSL.

W.

@Anonymous wrote:

*The biggest problem with the HG612V3b is that they're all getting old, and thanks to running rather hot (not the only VDSL modem that does this) tend to slowly cook themselves, meaning that they eventually fail!  If you can mount the modem vertically it'll tend to cool better

Hi Keith,

Your posts have helped me out a great deal in the past. I think my HG612V3b is one of the ones suffering from crippled speeds? Do you know of an alternative modem that can be used or a possible solution?

Really appreciate any help. Thanks