Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Port forwarding doesn't work on Vodafone WIFI hub

User110920
4: Newbie

Recently Vodafone sent me their Vodafone WI-FI hub which is a complete pile of junk. I'm forced to use it as they deactivated my phone line and moved it to VOIP.

Anyway, port forwarding doesn't seem to work. I forwarded the ports. I'm using FTP with internal port 21 and a random external port. I've inputted the port forwarding on the router. However, every time I try to connect remotely, I get an error message. When I go back to my old router, the problem disappears. Is there something else I need to enter or enable for the port forwarding to work on the Vodafone router?

8 REPLIES 8

Jayach
16: Advanced member

I'm no expert on port forwarding, but I very much doubt it doesn't work on the THG3000. (which I presume you have)

If you are using a random external port, how do you configure that?

Could you post some pictures of what you have set up to see if we have any suggestions why it isn't working.

I changed the IP address of the router to 192.168.2.1. This is so there isn't a conflict when using a VPN to access another site.
The internal port is 21

External port is 3677
The internal IP address is 192.168.2.112
The router says the ports are forwarded but every time I try and FTP in there seems to be a problem. Going back to the TP Link router with the same port forwarding and the problem doesn't occur.

Jayach

One thing I have noticed when playing with port forwarding, is after entering the details for the port forward and pressing save, you still need to press Apply at the bottom of the page. Are you doing that?

Sorry if my questions seem basic, but I did say I'm no expert.

Yes, I remember to click "apply".

Here's the original forwarding copied and pasted from my TPLINK router: 3466 192.168.2.112 21 TCP or UDP Enabled pppoe_ptm_101_0_d Editvodafone_port_forwarding.png

Ripshod

Port 3677 is an IANA reserved port, so it may be blocked somewhere.

Try a port above 32767

For the cost of a (relatively cheap) ATA you could fairly easily use your own router and do away with the vodafone one, you seem to have some confidence with setting net stuff up. 

I plan to go back to my original router once I can get the VOIP function working. For the time being, I just want to get everything working with the Vodafone router.

Cynric

(removed by self)

Jayach

Don't know if it will make any difference, but my torrent client sets the UDP and TCP links separately. Perhaps give that a try

Jayach_0-1680961527645.png