Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Setting up a Asus Zenwifi ax mini XD5

GX56789
3: Seeker

Hi.

I've been having issues with setting up my Asus XD5 with Vodafone. I am on FTTP (Full fibre 100) and understand all I need is to add the PPPOE details in to the router and all should work fine. I have been sent my PPPOE details by Vodafone. These are a dslXXXXXXXXX@broadband.vodafone.co.uk (9 digits) and a password of 8 characters (all characters no numbers). I have also been sent a VLAN of 101 but as I am on Openreach, I understand this is not needed. Suffice to say my router is saying PPPOE details are incorrect. I contacted Vodafone to confirm the PPPOE details and these matched the details I was previously told. I was also told I need to connect my Asus router via LAN to Vodafone's grey box router. These makes no sense to me as the modem is on the wall and all I would be doing is putting a router on to a router. I questioned this with Vodafone and was given a stock 'this is what you need to do answer'. I haven't tried the Vodafone tech way as I cannot see why I need to do this and they couldn't tell me why.  I have also checked the ethernet cable and set up the SSID. So, I'm kind of stuck.... Any help gratefully received...

6 REPLIES 6

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@GX56789 Ask for the credentials again because the helpdesk have been known to get it wrong.

Ripshod

Get them to copy/paste to the chat window, then copy/paste to a notepad text file (to remove the stupid font)

Or even ask them to text or email it 

https://vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd 

GX56789

I've had the PPPoE details texted twice to me (and then on the chat function a third person stated the details were correct). I've put these details in countless times and still cannot get the router to connect. All I get is invalid username/password. 

Ripshod

Stab in the dark here. Are you anywhere near Hull? Try the 101 vlanid if you are.

GX56789

No. I'm in SW England - so all Openreach. Very bizarre. I'll try switching off the Openreach ONT and factory resetting the Asus and give it another go. I'm not hopeful and with no way of knowing whether the Vodafone credentials are correct, I'll probably end up returning the ASUS and finding another router to use. I'm mainly getting rid of the Vodafone router because Microsoft Teams has issues (something I understand to be common on VF) and various threads indicate that the Vodafone router is the issue. I never had any issues on TalkTalk via an Amazon Eero.

GX56789

I finally managed to get it to work. I ditched the Asus router and went with an Eero 6+ (having used Eero previously with Talktalk I felt that should have a chance of connecting) and encountered a similar issue with connecting to the internet. In the end I had to FW update by networking via the existing router saving the PPPoE settings whilst connected to the router and then reconnecting the Eero solely. Convoluted and no idea why there was an issue or whether that's at VF end, my end or with the ONT. Either way working now... for now.