Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Setting up a Roon Media Server and help with port forwarding

VirgilBrigman
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello, I am trying to set up a Roon media server and I am having issue with the port forwarding.

Roon community suggest that Vodafone use carrier grade NAT, can someone confirm if this is the case please? I am using a business Vodafone account but I am not sure if this means anything. If it does use carrier grade NAT then this is a problem. 

If this is the case I need to know if a "dedicated external IP address is available". 

Has anyone experienced anything like this and knows of any workarounds?

10 REPLIES 10

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@VirgilBrigman VF only uses CG-NAT on mobile broadband. Source: on ispreview site.

Ripshod

Vodafone has started using CG-NAT for new customers provisioned with IPv6. However, as far as I'm aware that only applies to domestic customers.

@VirgilBrigman what's the first part of your WAN IPv4? I take it you're wanting to serve media outside of your home network? 

Hello @Ripshod thanks fort coming back to me. Just to clarify that although I am dealing with Vodafone Business, it is in a domestic property. Not sure if that means anything. I am looking to serve media from outside the home. The first part of my IP address is 192.168 (is this what you are looking for?) 

Ripshod

What does the vodafone router say your WAN IP is in it's status pages? First set of numbers will tell us what we need to know.

To be honest the vodafone router is not the best choice when running a server. 

Hi Ripshod, I think I get it, my WAN is my public IP address right so here it is 62.56.78.235

I also have a page to set up an IPv6 pinhole so should I try setting this up to the relevant port on Roon?

Thanks again. 

Just to confirm that if I try to set up an IPv6 pinhole, I am not able to select any device from the device list like I am able to on IPv4

That confirms that you have a public IP, and Roon is wrong. It may be worth discussing this on the roon community, there will be members on there that have experienced the same issue.

https://community.roonlabs.com/ 

Hi there, can you confirm that I am not using carrier grade NAT on this network as well as this is another issue that they are bound to ask about. Thanks. 

Ripshod

Having a public IP means you do not have CG-NAT. I should have made that clearer, my bad :Winking_smiley: