Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Stack level parental controls

knaqib
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Is it possible to extend the content controls available for broadband in MyVodafone to enable a total nighttime curfew on access to the internet? It currently allows timed content filters but can you add an option for a total internet blackout? The problem with router level parents controls is that my teenagers can simply use the WPS button or hard reset the router. ISPs have a responsibility to help protect child mental health by offering controls that work.  I note that Sky Broadband Buddy now has much more teen-proof parental controls and so I will have to switch over unless things improve. 

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem with most ISP parental controls (including Sky's as far as I'm aware) is that they are handled server side.  Often bypassing the parental controls is as easy as changing the DNS lookup servers on the device being used, and on a per device set up can be rendered all but useless by devices that use rotating "fake" MAC addresses.

There are third party devices that claim to be able to handle what you want, but they do so in ways that all too often break networks entirely.  A decent 3rd party router could be set up to do better, but you'd need to make sure your PPPoE details are not known by the teens, and you'd need to only allow access by MAC address rather than the more common denying of problem addresses.  Even then MAC addresses can be cloned if the kids have the skills.

Solution:  When it comes to teens, I don't really have anything better than no internet devices after going to bed!  Everything else THEY WILL find a way to circumvent!

but  surely Vodafone can give me the option of having no Internet access at all during certain hours, or triggered on and off by a text message from my phone for example