Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Strange system errors

truesimzy
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I was looking through the event log on my superhub and I keep seeing this type of error

01:39:12
Category: system
TR181 ap_pmf radio 2 ssid 3 unknown pmf -1
TR181 ap_pmf radio 2 ssid 2 unknown pmf -1
TR181 ap_pmf radio 1 ssid 2 unknown pmf -1
TR181 ap_pmf radio 1 ssid 1 unknown pmf -1
TR181 ap_pmf radio 2 ssid 3 unknown pmf -1
TR181 ap_pmf radio 2 ssid 2 unknown pmf -1
TR181 ap_pmf radio 1 ssid 2 unknown pmf -1

Can anyone tell me what it is? 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Most modern apps use standard logging libraries rather than writing their own bespoke logging modules for their code. So if the router software is written in a language called lua they may use the log4lua library. The point is these libraries are configurable so you can turn logging off, have minimum logging or maximum detail. The logs are useful if there are problems and you have some indication of what when wrong. Very few people sit looking at logs so if you don't want to see anything you can turn it off on the 192.168.1.1 router page

It isn't Vodafone spamming, its the actual code on the router being executed at the time thats writing the messages and telling you what is happening, you can turn logging off. Logging has a small overhead so turning it off makes it ever so slightly faster

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

TR181 is an extension of TR-069, remote monitoring of network equipment. It's just vodafone gathering diagnostic data. 

If its Vodafone gathering data then why is it spamming the logs? 

Most modern apps use standard logging libraries rather than writing their own bespoke logging modules for their code. So if the router software is written in a language called lua they may use the log4lua library. The point is these libraries are configurable so you can turn logging off, have minimum logging or maximum detail. The logs are useful if there are problems and you have some indication of what when wrong. Very few people sit looking at logs so if you don't want to see anything you can turn it off on the 192.168.1.1 router page

It isn't Vodafone spamming, its the actual code on the router being executed at the time thats writing the messages and telling you what is happening, you can turn logging off. Logging has a small overhead so turning it off makes it ever so slightly faster

Cynric

@truesimzy Spamming? It's logging, which is what it is supposed to do.

https://device-data-model.broadband-forum.org/

Believe it or not I actually attended a meeting in Berlin on the original TR-069 standard many years ago when it was originally part of the HomeGateway Forum on behalf of BT, I used to be responsible for international IT standards among other things. (Personally I turn it off when I can or use my own router. 😂 )