cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Suddenly unable to access my work website to work from home.

dale0592
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, 

As the title suggests I cannot access my work website for my remote login since last night. Everything seemed fine an dandy last night but this morning there was a perceptible delay on my usual sequence of websites but put it down to congestion until my work website just wouldn't connect. 

Initially thought the work website is down but no one else seemed to have the issue so went to double check the line on the BQM monitor, IP address changed overnight. This is the only thing that has changed. 

Started digging into the details, went to do a speed test on Ookla and it doesn't even recognize I'm on Vodafone anymore and take ages just to find a server but the test speed-wise is acceptable. Interesting to note, picking a server local to me causes the test to fail. 

Things I've confirmed;

• Its not the router, I use my own and swapping back to the Vodafone one on factory settings produces the same result. 
  • Mobile internet on phone works fine for the same website. 
  • DNS addresses make no different (1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8, Vf's default one)
  • Its not the device as anything that uses the same connection, wired or wireless, has the same issue. 
  • Power cycling the ONT makes no difference. 
  • Power cycling the router/ont to refresh the IP address has made no difference.
  • It now thinks I'm down south of London somewhere where previously it used to flick between Manchester or Sheffield on Ookla (Probably not a good reference but a change from normal is still a change)
  • Websites loading behaviour is all over the place, some slow, some as normal, some hang completely only to be fine a short while after.
  • Trace route to the affected website gives up pretty early. 

I've spoken to the wifi 'xperts' and whilst I can't really pick any fault with the customer service all they really did the same as what I had already done. They had me do a log via the VF router to send to them. 

I've looked round the forums and seen the one or two topics with a similar situation but they seemed to be resolved by different things. I've got the ticket in with the tech support anyway but thought I would give the forums a stab, its rather irritating to go from rock solid service to not working for no apparent reason and losing a days work and presumably tomorrow too. 

Anyone able to shed any light on what is actually going on?

Edit: VPN solves the problem entirely it seems, bad IP address then. 

30 REPLIES 30

Cynric
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I think that this is an advert. It's a response to an old thread and if it is really about 5G then it is in the wrong section. Moderator has been informed.