Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Third party router options

bwatkins
4: Newbie

The Vodafone-supplied router cannot handle the traffic on my network. I have a lot of 5MP CCTV cams streaming 24/7. So I went back to using an old TP-Link router that I've had for years. That is also now starting to fail so looking to replace.

It seems that the days of the built-in VDSL router are all but over. It's hard to find one at a reasonable price.

What's the situation with going back to using a separate Openreach VDSL modem and router? I gave up on that years ago because the OR modem was also unreliable and tended to overheat. But maybe they are better these days?

I'm on FTTC obviously.

5 REPLIES 5

Jayach
16: Advanced member

You don't say just what is starting to fail on your T-Link router, but most have a modem only mode so maybe you could use that with a new router whilst you wait for FTTP to reach you.

@Jayach wrote:

You don't say just what is starting to fail on your T-Link router, but most have a modem only mode so maybe you could use that with a new router whilst you wait for FTTP to reach you.

The main issue is the access point just keeps dropping out. All wireless devices disconnect, the AP cannot be found then a minute later it all comes back, everything connects and it's normal...for half an hour. I've tried everything I can think of. I think it's just knackered! I suppose it's worth trying to use it just as a modem as you say.

Cynric

@bwatkins Two things; 1. is the router overheating?, 2. what is the DHCP lease timeout?

What can you find in the router log?

Jayach

@bwatkins wrote:
The main issue is the access point just keeps dropping out. All wireless devices disconnect, the AP cannot be found then a minute later it all comes back, everything connects and it's normal...for half an hour

That rather sounds like the outer is rebooting itself, that may be the router itself, or it may be a line fault.

You say all wireless devices disconnect, but do you have any wired connections that stay up during that period?

CrimsonLiar

Most of those old OpenReach VDSL routers are now 10+ years old, and with a projected average lifespan of just 7 years are also failing.  There are other separate VDSL modems out there, and some prosumer routers with built-in VDSL too (look at Draytek).
If your cameras are connected to their own recorder over WiFi, setting up an access point for the cameras and their recorder might help.  *There's certainly a couple of us on these forums with monstrous numbers of 2.4GHz devices, it's just that they're not all cameras that stream 24/7!