Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using ASUS RT-AZ92U Router with Vodafone Broadband

bobsey
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

So I have recently purchased a ASUS RT-AZ92U wireless router for use with my Superfast 2 connection. The manual indicates that for full use (as router and wireless AP) a connection shoud be made from the WAN port of the ASUS to the WAN port of the modem (in this case the Vodafone router\modem). However when I do this I cannot get an internet connection.

I have my broadband login connections from Vodafone Tech Support.

I used the instructions here, https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/HOW-TO-Use-a-third-party-router-on-Vodafone-... and set the connecton type to PPPoE. I did not find a setting for VLAN or to enable 802.1Q.

So currently I have the ASUS set-up in AP mode only using the Vodafone Modem for firewall, dns and router.

Anyone know if I can set-up my ASUS and Vodafone modem in a combination where the Vodafone device is simply being used as a modem?

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

The Vodafone router+modem cannot be set into modem only mode.  You can use your Asus router as an access point by changing it to AP mode and then running a cable from a LAN port on the VF router+modem to the WAN port on the Asus router.

Alternatively to use your new router as such, you'll need a separate modem.  The modem handles the VLAN 101 tagging, and most UK spec modems come set up for this as default (note that the phone systems in different EU countries are not all the same as the UK, so it does need to be a UK modem).  With that you'll then need your service username (ending in @broadband.vodafone.co.uk) and password, which you can enter on the WAN set page through the PPPoE settings.