Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone VoIP Options - Home User

steveclecy
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I am currently a Vodafone Home Broadband user, and now have the option of having Full Fibre To the Premises.  I am interested if any user has the Vodafone VoIP service, using the handsets supplied.

Some questions I'd like answering please

(1) Can I keep my existing landline number?  Rather anxious about this as, believe it or not, we have had the same landline number since 1975!

(2) Are VoIP calls effectively free?

(3) Are features such as Caller Display and Voicemail included?

(4) Can addition Vodafone VoIP handsets be purchased and at what cost?

I have read that it is planned by 2025 that all UK calls will be via VoIP and it would be nice to be ahead of the game.

Any advice would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

I don't have FTTP so I can only say what I believe but can't actually confirm it.

@steveclecy wrote:

I am currently a Vodafone Home Broadband user, and now have the option of having Full Fibre To the Premises.  I am interested if any user has the Vodafone VoIP service, using the handsets supplied.

There is no handset provided, you use your normal BT type handsets.

(1) Can I keep my existing landline number?  Rather anxious about this as, believe it or not, we have had the same landline number since 1975!

You should be able to, but Vodafone seem to have a habit of messing it up.

No they are charged for. (except on Vodafone Pro Xtra)

Don't know the answer to this one.

As I said it uses standard BT type handsets not VoIP ones, which as far as I know Vodafone don't sell.

I have read that it is planned by 2025 that all UK calls will be via VoIP and it would be nice to be ahead of the game.

Hope that helps, I realise it will be confusing because it sounds like you were expecting a "proper" VoIP system.

If I've created any extra question, just ask.

View solution in original position

19 REPLIES 19

Jayach

I don't have FTTP so I can only say what I believe but can't actually confirm it.

@steveclecy wrote:

There is no handset provided, you use your normal BT type handsets.

You should be able to, but Vodafone seem to have a habit of messing it up.

No they are charged for. (except on Vodafone Pro Xtra)

Don't know the answer to this one.

As I said it uses standard BT type handsets not VoIP ones, which as far as I know Vodafone don't sell.

Hope that helps, I realise it will be confusing because it sounds like you were expecting a "proper" VoIP system.

If I've created any extra question, just ask.

Thanks for comments.  I took the leap yesterday and have ordered the New Vodafone Pro package for Fibre To The Premises, to be installed later this month.  I suppose it is effectively VoIP because calls will now be made over the internet, and as advised, standard phones are used (presumably via an adapter). Bit strange this, as the person chatting to me on the Vodafone Live Chat suggested special handsets would be available, yet the person I ordered with told me not. I do wonder whether the Chat line was not UK based as he spoke of "fiber" and "City Fiber".  So hoping for a rather more reliable connection than I've had with copper.

Jayach

CityFibre are the company who are installing fibre in various parts of the U.K. and Vodafone originally only sold FTTP via them, but now sell via Openreach as well. 

CityFibre - The UK's alternative digital infrastructure provider

Do you know which you are getting?

@steveclecy wrote:

standard phones are used (presumably via an adapter). .

That is correct, however the adapter is often not included (unless things have changed recently)

If necessary this one is recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rhinocables®-Socket-Telephone-Adaptor-White/dp/B00EVS5UZ2/

CityFibre are the company who are installing fibre in various parts of the U.K. and Vodafone originally only sold FTTP via them, but now sell via Openreach as well. 

CityFibre - The UK's alternative digital infrastructure provider

Do you know which you are getting?

Pretty sure it will be Openreach - or contractor to Openreach . Not seen CityFibre in the Northwest

The phone adapter is often not included (unless things have changed recently)

If necessary this one is recommended.

For what it costs I'll order one in advance - thanks for the heads up

Phone adapter was included on my installation last week.

Jayach

@round2it wrote:

Phone adapter was included on my installation last week.

Good news, maybe they have sorted themselves out.

Are you on Pro and how did it arrive? Packaged with the router or as a separate item?

No, not Pro, just basic @ £24 monthly

Supplied on installation.

Mind you, I don't use it. My VF router is using an RJ11 cable plugged into the back and this is wired into my home phone system, not that we use that very often. Personal phones (Mobiles) having taken over.

Jayach

Ah, so you are still on FTTC (as am I, despite living in a heavily populated area not far from London, we still have no date for FTTP). The OP is going to be on FTTP so they will definitely need the adapter.

Just in case of misunderstanding.  I'm FTTP. RJ11 connects to my home internal voice lines direct without adapter.