cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why won't my tv connect to my broadband even with a cable ?

Wendyadele2020
4: Newbie

why won't my tv connect to broadband even with a cable?

39 REPLIES 39

@Wendyadele2020  Your latest picture shows an attempted firmware upgrade on the TV, you don't need to do that.

I don't seem to do anything else with the tv now as it isn't acknowledging the freesat box?

I have managed to get freeview back! 😀 But just don't have any channels

@Wendyadele2020 wrote:

I don't seem to do anything else with the tv now as it isn't acknowledging the freesat box?

@Wendyadele2020 wrote:

I have managed to get freeview back! 😀 But just don't have any channels

I'm glad you seem to be making progress, but I am still having trouble understanding the problems.

I think some of it may be due to terminology, so lets agree on some terms.

Freeview is TV received via an aerial. You have a Freeview TV.

Freesat is TV received via a satellite dish. You have a Humax Freesat box

Both can be supported by extras over the internet.

Both can have channels, most of which are the same.

So you could say "I have Freeview working on the TV (including all it's channels) but although I can see the Humax output it doesn't show any channels"

Would that be where we are now?

Yes 

So it sounds like the satellite connection to the Humax is not connecting properly.

This picture tends to confirm this:

Jayach_0-1655475773106.png

It's the connector that looks like this 

The actual signal wire is just a thin copper wire in the centre. Make sure that it is going into the hole in the centre of the socket and screw the shield down fully. Hopefully that will cure the problem. 

Did you remove that cable when you were setting up the network connection? They are notoriously finicky if not fitted properly.

Do you not have any "techy" friends or neighbours who could help you with this.

Why if I have city fibre do I need the satellite dish?

@Wendyadele2020 wrote:

Because that is where the programs on the Humax come from (the clue is in the name freeSAT)

The only TV type programs that come over the internet are things like BBC iplayer, ITV player and other IP based services. They are not the same as broadcast TV and usually each service will need it's own player.

There are services such as Freeview Play that that use the internet to add functions to the broadcast channels.

See if either of these links help explain it.

Freeview Play vs Freesat vs YouView: Which free-to-view TV service is right for you? | Expert Review...

Freesat vs Freeview | Freesat

It's become a lot more complicated with so many options and streaming services available . (some free, some subscription)

@Wendyadele2020 wrote:

All CityFibre gives you is a faster version of what you had with PlusNet.... nothing more.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@LetitiaMimi wrote:

Maybe I know what you'll need!

Do tell.