cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wrong IP-based location - services think I'm in Croydon (I'm not!)

rsherhod
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Any IP-based location services think I'm in Croydon, when I'm not. Thankfully I am in the UK, so it shouldn't impact content services. However, it's definitely a problem because Google Maps puts me no where near my home by default.

I'm a new Vodafone Full Fibre customer, connecting from a desktop PC (so no GPS) over wifi to my Ultra Hub. I am NOT using a VPN connection.

I've seen discussions on here about this issue, and it seems to be down to Vodafone's IP addresses and whatever databases location services are using for lookup. That's not much of an answer though, since it's clearly Vodafone's problem - even if it wasn't, try telling that to Google!

So, can anyone help with this?

12 REPLIES 12

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@rsherhod wrote:

Yes, that's how I'm connected to my Ultra Hub. At some point I'll get an ethernet cable to it, but it means some drilling and cutting.

In that case I'm surprised Google doesn't get a better location for you. It can use the SSID's of routers close to you to estimate your location. It collected that data when the Google map cars were driving around.

Cynric

@Jayach Other times it gets the location from the ISP gateway, which is why it thinks I'm in the north of England.

Ripshod

Hence the request for the traceroute.