Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

router behind another router

unclebob1
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've picked up a THG3000 router, which I want to use BEHIND my existing router.

Router A for example has 192.168.1.1 as its internal ip, with a dhcp range 2-10 

It is connected to the internet directly.

I want to connect Router B such that it picks up a WAN ip from the dhcp pool from Router A, and then has its own internal LAN IP of say 192.168.2.1 with its own DHCP range of 192.168.2.2-10

Is this possible with the THG3000 running as router B? I tried to connect a cable between LAN port on Router A to WAN port on router B, but the THG3000 interface couldn't figure out that it had a connection to the internet - but the port was showing as active - so it knew there was a connection.

The aim for this setup in case anyone will ask why is that I want to separate the kids devices directly to router A and then have a second network for my devices. Happy for my devices to connect to devices on kids network, but dont want kids devices connecting to my devices.

I understand the double Nat problem etc, but this doesn't concern me as I don't do any port forwarding in my use.

31 REPLIES 31

Cynric
16: Advanced member

Considering the newly passed "right to repair" law and the existing WEEE regulations about recycling etc etc how on earth can VF get away with the THG3000 not being fully configurable and only fit for a door-stop when you leave VF?

(Mods: perhaps you can find out?)

@jayach

• In my tests both THG3000's can authenticate to Vodafone if used separately, but can't when connected via the others LAN.

Does that imply if I'm with Vodafone I could connect two of these and both would connect successfully to the internet? Would that be both connecting to the phone line or one piggy backed into the other via Lan?

Jayach

@unclebob1 wrote:

@jayach

• In my tests both THG3000's can authenticate to Vodafone if used separately, but can't when connected via the others LAN.

Does that imply if I'm with Vodafone I could connect two of these and both would connect successfully to the internet? Would that be both connecting to the phone line or one piggy backed into the other via Lan?

Absolutely not. It is apparently very unusual to be able to have 2 Vodafone routers working on one account.

The routers have to be "provisioned" to the account, but when I first joined I had a line fault which caused them to send me another router, but they couldn't get the new router to work at all even though they "provisioned" it.

Eventually after 3 months of hell they finally got Openreach to fix the fault. (I really wouldn't recommend joining Vodafone, the support is virtually non existent)

Later whist trying to help someone on this forum I connected the "spare" router to see what LEDs would be lit on an un-provisioned router and blow me, it worked, and as far as I know would still work but I'm back on the original at the moment.

It would never be possible to have 2 routers connected to a phone line together and the testing shows a second Vodafone router will not work behind another. (which is what we have been trying to achieve on this thread)

However, I have got a couple of Technicolor routers (same make as the THG3000) a TG589vac v2 and a DGA4231 (exactly the same hardware as the THG3000, but a different case).

They are both ex-ISP routers obtained from eBay but the firmware is original Technicolor and not too locked down.

I know the DGA4231 would do exactly what you want, as I was running it like that whist testing, but I had never even tried the TG589vac v2.

To cut a long story short, I configured it to get it's WAN IP address from the THG3000 and to run it's LAN on a different subnet (192.168.2.x) and it works fine, doing exactly what I think you want.

I'm typing this connected to it's wifi, I have the following connection stats:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5112:d2d7:434b:44e1%4
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.177
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Whilst the rest of my devices have 192.168.1.x addresses.

The only problem with the Technicolor routers is it's impossible to get firmware updates, Technicolor say it's up to the supplying ISP to provide them.

So you could possibly get a similar 2nd hand router, or If your interested in the TG589vac v2, PM me and we can work something out.

I would attach the TG589vac v2 specs and manual for you to peruse, but they seem to have removed the ability.

Edit: Added links.

Specs: DS_TG589vac-v2.indd (provu.co.uk)

Manual:TG589VAC_V2_manual.pdf (myzen.co.uk)

Sounds like i need to find a way to flash the firmware from THG3000 to DGA4231 

gipjon

Good look with that. I can send you the firmware but I have not yet know anyone who has managed to flash the router

Lol may ask for it anyway - Better to have it then not!

Will sent you a pm if thats ok?

Cynric

There is some information here

https://openwrt.org/toh/vodafone/vodafone_power_station

but it is not simple. 

Cheers - in its current form it is of no benefit to me so I'm happy to tinker away!

Thanks for your help!

Jayach

@unclebob1 wrote:

Sounds like i need to find a way to flash the firmware from THG3000 to DGA4231 

That would be ideal, but it's beyond my technical expertise.

This is the label  on the THG3000 board, so it's obviously a DRG4231 flashed with Vodafone firmware.

VF-label.jpg

Mine is very similar!

IMG_20210712_142643.jpg

I've also found what I believe to be the serial ports but outside of that I'm currently waiting for an update on 

https://github.com/hack-technicolor/hack-technicolor/issues/122