Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

router behind another router

unclebob1
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've picked up a THG3000 router, which I want to use BEHIND my existing router.

Router A for example has 192.168.1.1 as its internal ip, with a dhcp range 2-10 

It is connected to the internet directly.

I want to connect Router B such that it picks up a WAN ip from the dhcp pool from Router A, and then has its own internal LAN IP of say 192.168.2.1 with its own DHCP range of 192.168.2.2-10

Is this possible with the THG3000 running as router B? I tried to connect a cable between LAN port on Router A to WAN port on router B, but the THG3000 interface couldn't figure out that it had a connection to the internet - but the port was showing as active - so it knew there was a connection.

The aim for this setup in case anyone will ask why is that I want to separate the kids devices directly to router A and then have a second network for my devices. Happy for my devices to connect to devices on kids network, but dont want kids devices connecting to my devices.

I understand the double Nat problem etc, but this doesn't concern me as I don't do any port forwarding in my use.

31 REPLIES 31

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

It would be great if they could find a way to flash it. They are not bad routers and so many must be being trashed. Criminal waste really.

I managed to find an old tp-link ap, which i've flashed openWRT on to, looks like this may be the way forward for me in terms of DHCP, and then use various old routers in lan <-> lan as the wifi access points over tagged vlans.