cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

All these PAYG1 £1/day being taken for smartphones : here is what's happening and the solution I use

Andshev
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

In a nutshell, the way round it is to go into Settings - Network Settings - Preferred Network - then change from 4G to 3G only or 2G/3G. On days you want to use 4G eg. actual call, or internet when out and about rather than just using your home broadband for internet, switch back to 4G for the day.

Like plenty of others, I had this issue myself with a Nokia smartphone using Android 10, which I posted here, (but it wasn't happening with an old 3G PAYG!). I then played around with various options, mobile data, location off, etc. The above was the solution that I found to work. What's happening is that even with Mobile Data switched off, the phone is checking in at the start of every day with the nearest 4G transmitter (just a 4G big brother thing); this is a miniscule amount of data but gets picked up and gets you charged. 

What annoys me though is that this is non-chargeable data; even if you have no balance left, the daily check-in will still be made. It's like making only a single call in a day to check your balance 1345; the call won't be charged for, no £1 will be taken . This is where VF should act, if the data is non-chargeable, no charge should be made.

So that's my diagnosis and workaround. Hopefully works for you others with a similar issue.

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Thank you for sharing the workaround that has worked for you @Andshev 

Hopefully this can now go onto help others with this issue in the interim while Vodafone investigate.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

OldDouglas
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I tried this out this morning. I switched the preferred network from 4g to 3g. Sadly the problem persists: when the phone is rebooted I get the message that I've triggred the PAYG charge for the day. It's happened 13 times since the beginning of January.

muff13
4: Newbie

Sadly this has not worked for me. I chose 2G as my preferred network but suddenly, this evening, I received notification that £1 had been taken from my account. 

Mmmm I assumed it would be a general solution. I can't imagine it would be model specific wrt Android ( I just have a Nokia 2.2 Android 10). Try not turning it off for a few days, Android restart may then set off a check-in and a charge. As regards calls, one day I only sent a message to it from another phone, and there was no charge incurred. Just done a check on my balance and no change for a few days now. This is weird with no success elsewhere, on this and the other threads ?