Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Charged £1 when phone not been used on PAYG1

muff13
4: Newbie

I am on PAYG1 tariff and had been caught out by the new charges after they first came in. As a result I have disabled my mobile data as found that I was being charged £1 day while at home, connected to my Wifi without even receiving a mobile signal in the house. I was told, by customer services that if I even sent a Whatsapp message this used data and incurred a charge. I fail to understand how this could be possible when I did not have any signal but, as a result disabled my mobile data. Today, the phone had never left the kitchen table and, all of a sudden, I received the dreaded message from Vodafone that I now had unlimited minutes,  unlimited texts and 50MB of data for the rest of the day. which meant that I had been charged £1 for the day. Can anyone tell me why this would have happened and how is it possible. when the phone was only used over WiFi with mobile data disabled and no phone calls or texts made.  It is driving me mad and I cannot afford to loose £1 for non usage. 

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Some phone's have the ability to override the type of connection set if for example Wi-Fi connection drops then Mobile Data takes over or an App preference setting allows a type of connection.

If your phone does not have this advanced setting then turning Off Mobile Data should stop all Network Mobile Data Connection.

You could speak to customer services to see if they'll return the funds as a Goodwill Gesture.

As a process of elimination can you try your sim card in another phone and then see what happens @muff13 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @muff13 

You are not the only PAYG 1 customer who has had the problem and Vodafone need to start taking this seriously and find the reason PAYG customers are losing credit without any reason.

Speak to the Social Team here: Contact Us they will be able to do the necessary investigation and help with your credit loss.

I have been contacting customer services about this problem and, at times, have had some money refunded. That is not the point of my question. I am trying to find out why this is happening and how to stop it. Data is disabled so there is no way money should be taken from my account when the phone is not in use. 

Its not you. Its not your phone. If you look around this forum the same thing is happening to other people and i encourage anyone reading with this problem, instead of lurking, to post and make sure VF acknowledges it followed by a solution. The only way for the time being is not topup until there is no funds left on your phone for them to take as im on 40pence of credit now, one week on still no answers.