Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

A problem with PAYG1

OldDouglas
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have had a problem since the PAYG rules were changed a few weeks ago.
Whenever I reboot my phone I get Vodafone's message that I have passed the
threshold that charges me £1 (and gives me free texts and data for the rest of the day).
The message arrives within seconds of reboot. Mobile Data is disabled; and Data Saver is
on so that apps are not supposed to use data in the background. I cant figure out what is
using data to trigger this. With the new PAYG rules it seems that *any* data use is enough to cross the threshold. Any suggestions? The phone is a Doro 8040, running Android 7.0.

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @OldDouglas 

I understand the difficulty in finding out what's kick starting data usage.

If Vodafone systems do see connection then it will kick in.

Usually looking any any inbuilt data monitor or download able one helps determine what's being used.

Turning Mobile Data Off should stop it connecting unless a phone has an override function.

Sometimes looking in app preferences of the individual apps can help too.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @OldDouglas 

I hope you are not being charged more than £1.00 on a daily basis, the daily charge is £1.00 per day when the phone makes a connection to the network but unless there has been outgoing activity you shouldn't be charged just for rebooting the phone.

If you have turned off mobile data and are only using your home WiFi connection and have not made a call or sent a text this would be certainly something the Social Team need to look at on your behalf.   You can speak to the Team by following this link: Contact Us 

Thanks for the reply. The charge kicks in on reboot, without any call por text; and with  mobile data switched off, and data saver on.

I took up your suggestion and contacted the Social Team. A long online chat did not resolve the issue. Their records confirmed the use of a small amount of data (they couldnt say how much) at the times at which the phone had been rebooted. But they could not help me identify what is calling on this data.  I am beginning to think it is a feature of the Doro launcher. This (Doro) is actually my wife's phone. My own is a Vodafone Smart V8. It is configured in the same way, and also on a Vodafone PAYG1 contract. But it doesnt use data on reboot.    

AnnS

Hi @OldDouglas 

This won't be a phone issue, Vodafone are having a nightmare with PAYG 1.  There are also other threads on the forum with the same problem exactly as you are describing:  https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-as-you-go/Me-Too-Being-charged-with-Data-switched-off/m-p/268133...

It is quite concerning that you did not receive a more helpful reply from the Social Team, they are aware of the issue and should have at least refunded the lost credit.

Thanks. I have reposted this story (and a similar one relating to my own phone) on the thread you linked to.