Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data Only SIM Top Up after 12months ?

Canopus
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have a PAYG1 Data SIM in a MiFi router in my boat in Greece.

(I top up monthly on-line with £10 bundles)

I've now realised that I'm paying too much as I only use approx 150Mb / month so Id like to change to a 12m/12Gb Data Only SIM.

Q1 Is there a way to transition from PAYG1 to a Data Only SIM without replacing the SIM card itself ?

Q2 Can the 12m Data Only SIM be topped up on-line after 12m or will I have to buy a new preloaded SIM card?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Canopus 

If your wanting to migrate from Payg1 to a pay monthly data sim then you'd have to apply for and pass a Credit Check. The issue would be is that your in Greece and Vodafone would only open up a pay monthly option for a resident in the UK.

How-do-I-switch-between-Pay-monthly-and-Pay-as-you-go. 

They won't send a sim card abroad. A person also needs a UK bank account.

A person wouldn't typically need a new sim when moving from Payg to pay monthly unless the sim is old or the wrong size. The change is actioned online on your account.

Have you perhaps looked at the Voxi options.

Voxi. 

Data-only-sim is Vodafone offerings on data only.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for quick reply.

I didnt explain properly - I want to get a 12m/12GB PAYG data SIM.

The MiFi is noly used to send data back from a remote monitoring device so I dont want to get involved in a contract for such small usage.

Thanks again

BandOfBrothers

No worries and your welcome @Canopus 

Would you let us know how you get on with this as threads like yours can then go onto help others in the same or similar situation.

Take care.  :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hey there,

Firstly the Vodafone PAYG data only sims are completely separate to the PAYG1 sims that they use for voice/text meaning you can't migrate between the two. So it'd be a data sim package you order (you can get a free one via the website), set it up and add the yearly bundle and then switch sims next time you're in Greece. 

As for Vodafone Greece, they used to do a service called καρτοinternet (literally cardinternet) but the bundles were actually quite expensive (I had one for my first ever iPad). The service was discontinued a year or so ago so the only mobile internet packages offered via the website are pay monthly (meaning you'd have to have a Greek ID, ΑΦΜ (tax number) etc. Assuming as you're not there a lot then perhaps you're resident here. 

Long rambling answer short though, yes it can be done but you'd have to order a PAYG data only sim package, set it up and then switch sim next time you're in Greece. There's no migration journey. 

Thanks

Covid permitting, Im due to fly out in a couple of weeks so I'll swap SIMS then.

AnnS

Hi @Canopus 

You would find this a lot cheaper going direct with Vodafone Greece, looking at the website here: Vodafone Greece you would be able to get 40GB for 9.95 Euros to use for 30 days.  There is also the question of you permanently roaming, something Vodafone are identifying and making an additional charges.

To answer your questions: 

1.  To change from PAYG 1 to data only SIM world not be possible, it is a different product and will need it's own SIM.  
  2.  You would be talking about a 12 month plan, this is a monthly contract payable by direct debit, you would need PAYG here: PAYG data SIM .  You will need a UK address for Vodafone to send the SIM and forward onto to you in Greece.

edited to add:  The 12 month SIM you are referring to:   The data would be valid for 12 months.  After this time, you would be able to add a data pack but this would probably only be valid for 90 days.  The simplest way would be to purchase a new 12 month data SIM.

AnnS

Thanks for taking the time to reply

My Mifi is switched on but left un-attended for 8 months over winter so I cant easily get to it to replace a SIM card every 30 days. So far Ive not had an issue with leaving it roaming so perhaps I should leave it as-is and not risk disconnection by changing SIMS.

What I really want is an NB-IoT or LTE-M SIM but thats a whole different story and not something Id get from Vodafone 😉