Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data Roaming -cheapest way

Saba19
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I want a plan to roam abroad inTurkey when I travel in June and again in August.

I don't want to use the Vodafone number in the UK, it is purely for travel.

Can I get a sim that will continue to work from June to August, even  when not in a phone and just add a data bundle to it in June and another in August.

Is this the cheapest way to do it? 

I'm happy to pay a minimal money charge from June till after I travel in August to keep the sim live so that I can add the bundles.

I don't want to buy a sim in Turkey as apparently it gets locked after 30 days and you can't use a Turkish sim until you pat taxes on the phone.

Please help!

2 REPLIES 2

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Apart from using WiFi where possible, available in most cafes and hotels, there is no cheaper way when you are roaming in Turkey @Saba19 

The charges are here: Charge Checker and here: Roaming 

If your phone is unlocked you can always use a local SIM in the phone, that would work out a lot cheaper for calls, texts and data.  If you use Google, you may find some options for a local Turkey network SIM.

If you have a Vodafone PAYG SIM, you will need to add credit and make the first chargeable connection in the UK.

Thanks for your response @AnnS 

I don't want to use a local sim as that is a one time solution and won't work when we return.

It seems like buying a pay as you go sim and adding a roaming bundle before I go is the way to do it.

I think this will still work out cheaper than EE who will charge £6 a day for 500MB