Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Default now I cannot move house or obtain a mortgage

brits81
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I purchased a Vodafone pay as you go dongle for additional bandwidth while travelling, long story short didn't need it any more so I didn't top it up thinking it was like a mobile Pay as you go Sim.

I have an account with Equifax who notified me that I missed 4 payments that then made me a serious defaulter and now my credit rating has gone from good to very poor and had my life planned around moving away next year.

Now after hours and hours on the phone with Vodafone pleading for removal on my file if you ever got through to anyone who said they can help and if they said they could would call you back they never did. 37 phone calls and over 100 hours going right up to the credit team.

I was then told via letter it will not be removed as I did not read the small print that says you need to gove 30 days notice to cancel. How can you possibly and ethically offer a pay as you go service and then penalise me as it was not a contract.

Any help will be well received as this has halted my life plan for 6 months even after I cleared the whole bill which I shouldn't have had to for an additional 6 months which they call monthly minimum.

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

By it's very definition Pay as you go won't put anyone into default or arrears as it'll only let you use what has been topped up. 

You must have been on a sim only data pay monthly contract. 

Did you pay via direct debit ?

The Vodafone Social Media Teams here read all posts and help where they can. 

Let them check out your info and they'll help if they can. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

No DD as if it was i wouldnt have a default. This is how i dint understand giving me a default when it wasnt a monthly contract

BandOfBrothers

I really can't see it as Pay as you go as you've been advised you had to give 30 days notice which shows to me it's a contract. 

Let the team help. 

Current Phone  >

I didn’t sign any contract

so when you say team Voda see these and make direct contact?

thx

andy

BandOfBrothers

Hi @brits81

Yes once the Vodafone Social Media Team have caught up with your thread they contact you via direct message to pass security checks and then investigate. 

Current Phone  >

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@brits81 As @BandOfBrothers has mentioned, it's very strange that this would happen on a Pay as you go SIM,as you should be free to stop topping this up and using it at any time. I'm wondering if you were on a 30 day rolling contract, with no commitment except letting us know you wished to cancel. 

We'll be able to look into this in much more detail on your account and with our Credit team. So we're able to do this, please get in touch using the link in my private message

I'm afraid a PAYG account CAN rack up arrears. At least - mine has. Vodafone assure me that I don't owe them any money but my PAYG dashboard tells me I am over £400 in arrears (although there is no access to a billing page because the a/c is PAYG) and no one can work out why the dashboard claims I am in arrears, when I can't be, and they don't seem that bothered. Good luck with customer service.