Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

4G Calling & Wi-Fi Calling Issues

Purkele
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I recently switched from BT Mobile to Vodafone and struggle to get 4G calling as well as Wi-Fi calling to work.

Specs:

• Samsung Galaxy S9, bought from Amazon (XEU firmware, if that makes a difference), with July security patch (latest available OTA)
  • Vodafone Unlimited Max sim only plan

With BT mobile / EE network previously, both 4G and Wi-Fi calling both worked straight away, but with Vodafone Wi-Fi calling is definitely not working. I am 80% sure 4G calling with Vodafone might actually be functional, even though my Samsung handset has not been bought from Vodafone.

Why do I think Wi-Fi calling is definitely not working? This functionality has been tested by putting the phone into flight mode and enabling Wi-Fi. My BT Mobile sim is able to make and receive calls but not the Vodafone sim. When I have only the Vodafone sim inserted (with the other sim slot empty in my dual-sim handset), the Samsung phone app settings do not display the toggle to enable Wi-Fi calling.

Why do I think 4G calling might be working? When calling / receiving calls, my phone does not switch down to 3G / HSPA but stays on 4G. Samsung's phone app displays the HD logo when the call is active. The only thing missing (compared to BT Mobile) is the VoLTE logo in the status bar on top. When Vodafone's technical support temporarily switched the 4G calling off at their end, my phone started to revert back to 3G for calls.

Steps taken so far:

• Enable 4G & Wi-Fi calling in My Vodafone
  • Visit to store, with staff agreeing both should be enabled and available
  • 3 calls to 2nd line technical support, where they have repeatedly switched the 4G & Wi-Fi calling off and back on repeatedly, telling me that both should work

Could you please:

• Help me to enable Wi-Fi calling?
  • Confirm if Vodafone now supports 4G calling for Android handsets not bought directly from Vodafone? (If this is the case, your website documentation should be updated to reflect that)
5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

In regards to 4G aka voLTE 

"Apple devices can be used from any retailer, however all other devices must have been purchased directly from us."

Who-can-get-4G-Calling.htm

In regards to wifi calling.

Some set up help in calling-features/wi-fi-calling

And

Calling Over WiFi Set up.

Ask the agent to force the phone via sending an OTA configuration update that should provision your phone for Calling Over WiFi. 

"Register for Vodafone Wi-Fi Calling

Text the word CALLING to 97888

This is a free text which will add the service to your account.

You should receive the following confirmation text:

Thanks. We’ll add Wi-Fi Calling to your account in the next 24 hours and will let you know when you’re all set up.

If you’d like to discuss this with us, or if you have any other issues, you can find more info here or contact us

Once you receive the confirmation text, switch on Wi-Fi Calling in your settings

Go to Settings, scroll down and choose the Application icon

Choose Phone and scroll down until you see Wi-Fi Calling – select the box beside this option

A pop-up will appear asking you to confirm if you want to enable Wi-Fi Calling – tap OK"

Also check in your myvodafone that it's been selected. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you but I have read that many times.

As stated in my post, I suspect 4G calling might actually be working on my handset and the documentation may need to be updated.

BandOfBrothers

The info is correct currently on the support pages.

What has been seen that on occasion voLTE has appeared to work on phones not bought from Vodafone but that's an exception and not the norm.

Current Phone  >

Thank you for confirming.

I suppose this closes the 4G calling question, leaving only the Wi-Fi calling issue to be addressed.

BandOfBrothers

No worries.

Account access isn't available via this forum so either customer service on 191 / Live Chat or the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Facebook or Twitter have account access to check on wifi calling.

If you use social media then please link back to tour thread here and include your username. 

Current Phone  >