Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

4G no internet, no service and constantly on E since 3G shutdown

Rxbski
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Ever since the 3G shutdown, I have been getting 4G no internet in most places that never before, even if I have full bars 4G or even 5G, it just doesn’t work at all! Vodafone customer service don’t care in the slightest as it’s “good” on their end, and also in areas where I used to get amazing 4G or 3G I now only get EDGE connection, no service or just 0 bars. I’ve raised the complaint with Vodafone 3 times and nothings been done to fix the faults. 
I’ve switched to E-sim, tried it on both a Samsung galaxy s23 ultra and a iPhone 14 Pro, I’ve configured all my APN settings and done the basic troubleshooting and I still get no connection it’s unbearable. My signal does work sometimes, but only in limited areas, I feel like a o2 user.
If anyone had a fix to this I would be so greatful. Thank you

41 REPLIES 41

Despair21
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

In my experience, Vodafone have decimated the connectivity to 4G for data! Originally, I could easily download at 80mbs (when 4G was introduced), now I'm lucky if I can download at all, especially during peak hours! Customer services deem this as an acceptable level of service! Furthermore, after addressing this issue almost monthly for the past two years, I've given up! It's obvious to anyone it's the 'contention' on the line! However, Vodafone do not seem to have increased the network capacity to compensate for this issue, especially eversince the cessation of their 3G service, which undoubtedly increased data traffic on the 4G service, hence compounding the issue. Hope this helps to explain somewhat. 

Hi @Despair21, thanks for sharing your knowledge in this discussion. I completely agree with everything you are saying.

Contention on the mast is the big problem here. Typical example when you go to an arena and realise your data no longer works until you leave the area. This contention has always been an issue but people that were aware like myself would just force their phone onto 3g and get a decent 10mbps or so. This was not lightening fast but perfectly good enough to do typical things like browse /WhatsApp and setup Google maps.

Since 3g is no longer available everybody is forced onto 4g and the capacity hasn't been increased to allow for this. I would say 3g was being used alot more than Vodafone and the other phone companies were alluding to.

Regards, 

Lee 

@Lee_Paul wrote:

I would say 3g was being used alot more than Vodafone and the other phone companies were alluding to

VF & O2 have both long relied on 3G more than many users realise. Not so for other MNOs.

coatsy35
1: Seeker

Getting the same all across Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Northamptonshire. We have 60 phone on our contract, seriously looking at moving them all away when the contract ends in a few months. It's as bad as O2 was. Shocking, either 1 bar or full bars and no throughput or E. We work only rurally as a service dealer for the agricultural industry throughout the three counties and it's bad real bad, when we rely on phones so much.

What gets me ais I can go on a training course in the middle of nowhere in France or northern Italy and have full bars full signal and often 5g. The only place I've ever seen 5g here in in London! 

Hi @coatsy35, completely understand your frustration. I've been with Vodafone just over a year now and this lack of data throughput since 3G has been switched off is not acceptable. I have been to 3 locations in the last few weeks where I've had a full 4G signal but no data throughput. This includes Chatsworth, Bourton-on-the-Water and this weekend Bicester Village which I believe is Oxfordshire. The pattern I've noticed is it's nearly always when in a quite crowded area and the mast just can't cope. Like yourself I will be seriously considering moving network when my contract ends. I am shocked nothing is being mentioned about this by Vodafone as they must know about it. The service I'm now getting isn't fit for purpose and certainly not what I signed up to last year.

Atleast before I could force my phone into 3G mode and it would nearly always have data throughput even if it was slow. 

Also, you're quite right about the 5G roll out. It's as if it has been put on hold. The 5G map looks almost identical to how it did at the start of 2023. Even when clicking the map to show 3 months in advance, nothing ever changes.

Not a happy customer at the moment. 

Kind Regards 

Lee 

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, we don't want this to get to the stage of any of you leaving us. @coatsy35 - so that we can investigate what's happening in more detail, please send us a message on Social Media. @Lee_Paul - if you haven't messaged us there yet, please get in touch and we can run through some checks. 

Despite a number of attempts to do what you suggested and contact on social media, I've not had a single reply.

I can't run my business without a data connection away from home, so if this is not sorted out I will also have to take my business elsewhere.

It's disappointing to hear that you haven't yet received a response @Timeweasel, as I appreciate the importance of your data connection being looked into for you. Please message our Social Media here again and mention that you've been asked to get in touch regarding your post on our Community page. 

3 hours later, no response to my new message. No point trying again.

Hi @Timeweasel I've checked and I can't find any messages that recent messages that mention Dorking or Surrey regarding a network issue. We're more than ready to help. Are you contacting Vodafone UK? On the links found here.