Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data speeds on Sim only contract

dazzabird
4: Newbie

good day all

I  Have a question that I’ve been getting several different answers…

I know that with the Unlimited data plans I have the option of various data speeds

but with plans with a allocated amount of data…what speed should I be gett8ng

Been offered in my account a 100gb on sim only for £10 a month with unlimited calls and texts…Now this is advertised as a 5G plan…

so wondering if it has any speed limits applied to it 

thanks 

15 REPLIES 15

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @dazzabird 

It's only the unlimited plans where there is a speed cap, if you take an alternative RED plan, it won't be capped.

From what you have written this could well be a Basic plan, and this will have a speed cap.  You need to look for a plan where you will receive the fastest speed possible or Vodafone's superfast 5G.

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member

@AnnS wrote:

From what you have written this could well be a Basic plan, and this will have a speed cap. 

I have a Basic plan, and I have no speed cap.

Screenshot_20210727-094530_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 09.54.00.png

AnnS

Perhaps you are lucky @WelshPaul  but Basic Plans do have a speed limit of 10 mbps. This is mentioned here:

Vodafone Basics 

WelshPaul

I am not lucky, they do not have a speed cap. 

See my second screenshot and see here:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-deals/basics/

WelshPaul

@AnnS wrote:

Perhaps you are lucky @WelshPaul  but Basic Plans do have a speed limit of 10 mbps. This is mentioned here:

Vodafone Basics 

It's possible that Vodafone have updated the website, link and/or airtime agreement document since @AnnS and myself last posted.

Basic SIM only plans are located here:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-deals/basics/

On the above page there is a link to the Airtime agreement and charges guide 2020 [PDF: 86kb] as shown in the image attached below.

Screenshot 2021-08-06 at 16.16.51.png

It clearly states the following under the "Mobile data speed limits" section:

Mobile data speed limits apply to our Vodafone Unlimited Lite and Vodafone Unlimited plans only. The maximum upload and download speeds you could experience on your device with these plans are as follows: Vodafone Unlimited Lite - 2Mbps and Vodafone Unlimited - 10Mbps. If you have chosen one of these plans, please note you are not guaranteed to experience the maximum speed stated for your particular plan - the actual speed you experience will depend on a number of factors including location, network coverage and network signal.

WelshPaul

@dazzabird wrote:

Been offered in my account a 100gb on sim only for £10 a month with unlimited calls and texts…Now this is advertised as a 5G plan…

so wondering if it has any speed limits applied to it 

There would be no benefit at all to having 5G if a speed limit was imposed on it. 🤔

AnnS

@WelshPaul 

I would suggest you look at the SIM only tariffs from Vodafone, if you click on plan details you will see further information on speed and the maximum speed that can be achieve over 5G on each of the tariffs.  To achieve the fastest speed possible a customer has to be on an unlimited max plan or one the new new Xtra unlimited plus plans.

To help any other customer reading this thread this information is here: SIM only 

WelshPaul

To be fair here, Vodafones website is full of miss information or written in a way that could mislead their customers into thinking it means something else. You can click a link and you will be told one thing, click another and you're told something else. I remember you saying that OneNumber isn't available to customers on a Basic Plan (you're probably right), yet when I enter my number here it says that it is available to me (I ported in my old T-Mobile number that I have had for years)? I'm also told that there is no roaming abroad at all, my phone won't work outside of the UK, PERIOD! Yet my bill clearly states under the "Bundle and extras" section that "Vodafone Global Roaming" is included (whatever that is - I don't travel abroad and so doesn't affect me either way)? I'm also told in the T&C's that I'm restricted to 10MB download speeds, yet clearly, I am not. It clearly states on the website I get the "Fastest available download speeds"? We are told that we will lose any remaining calling credit if we switch from Vodafone Pay Go to Pay Monthly and yet again on the number transfer page it states "We'll apply any credit left on your Pay as you go account to your first Pay monthly bill.". I can go on and on.

Farai
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @WelshPaul, we really appreciate you pointing these out for us 👍 Some of the points you've highlighted we are currently in the process of getting them amended already. However, I've also submitted a new request for information in the T's&C's to double checked as well. Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with the information you have 😊